Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Greenhouses, Sheds and Sun Rooms
Reload this Page >

Building a 16x16 shed-deciding where and how many skids to install under it

Old 09-23-12, 05:11 PM

I'm building a 16x16 wooden shed with a lumber package. Bought 3 16' 4x4's debating on getting a fourth and where to mount them lest we have to move it in the future. That is assuming they can move a shed that big down the road. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-12, 04:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

How far do you expect to move the shed? across the yard or across town?

How is the shed to be supported? What size floor joists? Are the 4x4s to be the foundation?

Sorry for all the questions but we need to know more before we can give a decent answer.

Old 09-24-12, 09:36 AM
Question Building 16x16

The flooring is with treated 2x6's, outer band with double middle band and shorter joists going from middle band to outer band of 2x6's. I was going to install 4x4 skids in case it had to be moved and to improve floor rigidity. Hopefully won't have to move it but it is always a possibility. Probably around the yard but always also slight chance of down the road. I just want to make sure I do it right so that if it does have to be loaded up and hauled down the road I've done whatever I can to make it possible.

I plan to set concrete blocks (no mortar) under the 4x4's to keep it off the ground (dry), as I had that problem with a shed before.

Old 09-24-12, 09:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd probably use 1-2 more 4x4s..... but I'm a painter not a carpenter. Hopefully someone more qualified than me will have time to respond with better advice

Old 09-26-12, 05:26 AM
Skids

I would suggest 5 skids perpendicular to the floor joists spaces 4 feet apart.

Old 09-26-12, 06:46 AM
Just some quick comments.
It sounds like you are building two 8 x 16 floor decks and bolting them together. Why not just use 16' 2 x 6's ? Personally, I would use something larger than 2 x 6's but that somewhat depends upon what is going to be inside. Once you have it on blocks it is not going to be easy to get under there to adjust any of those supports should it settle, and with 2 x 6's and the joint down the center, the floor will follow the supports, even with the 4 x4's.

Always make the 16' deck less than 16' so your final osb fits right around the outside. Then plan ahead for the roof sheathing to minimize how much waste you end up with. Also, if you plan on storing 16' anything inside, then a 16 x 18' shed would be better, or something like that.

If moving down the road is a possibility, the total height must be adjusted so that when on whatever truck or trailer is used the total height will be below wires and bridges, sometimes as low as 12' to 13', but check the area you will be traveling. Allowing 2' for the trailer, that doesn't leave much for the roof.

I'm picky, but I lay out every board that will be going into my buildings and make adjustments on paper so everything will fit when the nails start to fly. it give you better building and less waste.

A 16 x 16 with asphalt shingles is not going to be light, so if you want to be able to move it, that platform is going to need to be rugged.

Bud

Old 09-26-12, 11:15 AM
Floor

The 2 rows of 2x6 joists joined at the center double band is how the package came from Builder's Discount Center. I don't know why, but that was in the package (and plans). Personally I would have preferred 16' 2x6's for the joists, I agree with you, but the 8's is what they have drawn on the plans for the "package". There are some 16' boards in the package so more 16's wouldn't have changed there delivery, but would have changed the "package deal"

I think I do need to add 1 -2 more 4x4's but I guess I'll have to just run them perpendicular to the center band and under the associated outer band at opposite ends

Thanks

Any other further input still very welcome.