subfascia

Old 09-25-12, 10:02 PM
subfascia

Hi,
I am close to wrapping up my summer shed project and have a problem at the two gable ends. we roofed it before sheeting up the gable ends, meaning the sheeting does not go beneath the drip edge. the two solutions i have some up with is 1...hammer some 6" fascia flat and slid this under the drip edge, leaving the fascia flat against the sheeting OR 2...nail some 1x4s up below the current dripedge and then install essentially a 2nd drip-edge strip over that. that 2nd drip edge will stick out about 1" from the shingles, but then I'll have some subfascia to run the vinyl siding up against.
thanks in advance.
i am including some links to some pix. i hope it works.
Shed 2012 :: shed2_zps6eb20474.jpg picture by Igikpak - Photobucket
Shed 2012 :: shed1_zpscd683436.jpg picture by Igikpak - Photobucket

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-12, 10:25 PM
Group Moderator
I think you just need to get some z-flashing (drip cap) and stick it up under your d-style drip edge. I had to do the same thing on a shed someone else built and roofed once, just like that. If you have access to a metal break you could probably make your own out of white aluminum trim coil. You don't need the 1x4 unless you want to have some "trim" along your roof edge. You could live without it if your vinyl j-channel went right up under the z-flashing.

Old 09-26-12, 07:02 AM
Adding a 1 x 4 will also require some detailing at the soffit ends. Are you determined to use vinyl siding? If you did the gable ends in primed T1-11, it would be thin enough to easily be flashed to match the existing flashing and wouldn't stick out that much.

They sometimes put a break at the 8' level or in your case the soffit level that could allow you do do one thing above and another below that trim piece.

I won't tell you the dummies I have made in the past .

Bud

Old 09-26-12, 11:45 AM
I like the idea of T-111 on the gable ends. That could slide up under the Z-flashing X-Sleeper mentioned. Thanks for the help. Still not sure what would give me the best look (T-111 or vinyl siding on the gable ends), but you've been great help!
Thanks.

Old 09-27-12, 10:33 PM
If I did want to nail a 1X or 2X bargeboard along the gable eave, how much is too much dripedge to leave exposed as "trim?" I could use a black dripedge so it isn't noticable. Would leaving about 2" of bare drip edge hanging over the eaves not covered by shingles let water wick underneath to the sheeting?
With the Z-flashing recommended by Xsleeper, if I picture it right, would that leave about a 1"-2" stepdown from the roof peak to the flashing?

Old 09-28-12, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
I don't really know what you're asking. On the shed I did, the z-flashing went under the drip edge as high as possible so that the trim was basically right underneath the drip edge. Here is a diagram of what I mean.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3790[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 10-02-12, 06:08 PM
I see now. A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks for all your advice. This has been a good learning experience, building this shed. Could do a better job (and faster and cheaper) now that I have a little experience.

Old 12-25-12, 02:28 PM
Shed done

Sorry, I never got around to thanking everyone who helped out with advice with my first ever carpentry project. Learned a lot (I am geometrically challenged). Never did get the rafter thing figure out....buying pre-made trusses was the final answer, even though they only came in sizes starting at 10' and my shed was 8').
So thanks again everyone. Still need to work on the ramp and landscaping around the shed, but that can wait till next spring...
Here is a pic....and shoulda built it bigger! hahahah.
Thanks a ton!
Hope the link works...
Luke

http://http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj483/Igikpak/Shed%202012/shedbuiltcopy_zpsc5fcc389.gif