shed construction options

Old 01-09-13, 04:45 AM
Question shed construction options

I'd like to put up a shed in my backyard to supplement the storage in my 2 car garage. Specifically, I'd like to be able to move some of the stuff out of the garage to make more workspace. My county allows anything up to 200 sq ft to be constructed without a building permit. A preconstructed shed is not an option because of the inaccessibility of the location to wheeled vehicles.
I don't really like the plastic shed kits sold by the big box stores, nor do I like the metal shed kits. I've constructed one of those metal sheds before and swore I'd never do it again.
That leads me to building a stick-built shed. Are there any other options you can think of?
I came across a product from Blitz that provides brackets and connectors (and plans and cut list) to make it a little easier. I'm considering building one of those and finishing it so it matches the house and existing garage (white vinyl siding, black trim). Do you have any experience with this? What did you think?

I'm also eager to read opinions on rodent- and bird-proofing the structure as well as proper foundation. Is a poured footer below frost depth really necessary or would a pier block setting on a level gravel base be sufficient?

http://www.blitzusa.com/products/sto...edkitpeak.html

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-13, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
The link you provided is not working for me.

Check with your local zoning and building codes. A permanent foundation like a poured concrete slab or footers often makes the building a permanent structure which must comply with zoning and building codes. A building on a wooden skid, gravel or concrete pavers is often considered a temporary structure because it "could" be moved and does not fall under the codes.

Old 01-09-13, 07:51 AM
I called the county building inspector's office to verify the 200 sq ft thing, but I also asked about foundation. They told me it doesn't matter, as long as its less than 200 sq ft.
I still have to get a waiver from my HOA as they only allow one outbuilding per lit and the garage is detached. I don't see it being an issue since it won't be visible from the street or either of my neighbors' homes. Since I plan for it to match the outside finish of the existing structures, I think it will be an easy sell.

2x4basics 90192 Shed Kit, Peak Style Roof:Amazon:Patio, Lawn & Garden
Here's a link to the amazon page where the blitz kit is sold.