Sweating shed question

Old 03-10-13, 08:50 AM
Sweating shed question

Hi everybody, first time here but looks like a nice, and very informative site! Glad to be here.

Ok, I am looking at a 14'X36' cabin/shed for a weekend lake place. I found one that was already done up on the inside, complete with electric ran, insulation in the floor, celing and walls. It is done up with drywall on the walls and celing with a laminite flooring down. The walls are even taped, mudded, and painted! It also has a PTAC heating/cooling unit in it. It also has the gable vents on both ends. Its really done up nice!

My only real worry is sweating. I dont know if it has any vapor barrier anywhere or not. The salesman is suppose to check and find out, but who knows. Does anybody have any ideas on it? Is it likely that there will be a problem or not?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-13, 09:43 AM
Is this small camp already built? How will you get it to the lot on the lake? Will they be handling the permits and preparing the lot. Who will provide the electrical service? Will you have inside plumbing with an outside disposal system, or an approved outhouse? Are there building codes where this will be located and does this structure meet those codes?

Now, since you say it will come with both heating and cooling, the structure will need to dry to the inside in one season and to the outside in the other. With no kitchen mentioned or shower, the inside moisture would be minimal and I wouldn't worry about a vapor barrier. The list of questions above would be of more concern.

Bud

Old 03-10-13, 02:07 PM
Yes, its already done. Its in a lake development, I have two lots in the development. The lot where Im buying the building from will provide the transport of said building. I will be preparing the site. Its on a slight incline now, I plan to level it a little more than it is now, then put down a layer of rock, then set the building on 4X8X16 solid concrete blocks. The inside is already wired, and there is electric on the lot. I just have to run wire from the pole to the building. For now, no plumbing in the building at all. But, planning to get a well dug and hook it to the building. As far as the waste water disposal, for now I am thinking of an above ground holding tank. But just untill I can get the septic field. No real building codes there. Plus, for what its worth, the building does have 16" on center studs in the walls, floor and celing.

Old 03-10-13, 02:52 PM
Vapor barriers are now being classified as vapor diffusion retarders as it has been determined that stopping vapor movement is problematic. In mixed climates where you might air condition and heat, the old rule of placing the vb on the warm side provides no guidance, warm vs cold changes with the season. I like the simple saying, when in doubt, leave it out. That said, the preventative measure becomes air sealing, as air movement carries much more moisture to places it shouldn't be.

Good luck with your camp,
Bud