Attaching a shed to existing pad

Old 03-19-13, 03:42 AM
Attaching a shed to existing pad

Hello, everybody!

I have a 9x18 pad that had a pergola on it behind my garage. Being behind my garage, and made with lumber not meant for outdoors, I demolished it.

Now I have the pad with 6 Strong Tie 4x4 Column Bases set into it. I want to build a shed on the pad, and would like to use the existing column bases to secure it. Would this be advisable? or should I cut them off and bolt the pressure treated down in a more traditional manner?

I don't know the depth the pad was poured, so I don't know if I can sink an anchor in that far.

I would sheath over the column bases after raising the walls. I have installed french drains around the perimeter to alleviate excess water.

Thanks for your help.

Doug

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-13, 04:45 AM
Group Moderator
I would cut off the column bases and bolt the shed to the slab.

Old 03-19-13, 10:33 PM
Any recommendation for the anchors? I think I am looking at a 4 inch pour on this pad, non reinforced. It will hold the shelves, etc, I am not planning on parking a car or tractor on it.

Half the space will be converted to a small workshop for my table saw, drill press, routing table, etc. Crowded, but I need to convert the garage into a mother-in-law suite.

Thank you

Old 03-20-13, 04:48 AM
Group Moderator
I would use a 1/2" concrete wedge or "ThunderStud" type anchor. The only thing to watch is because the sill plate for your shed should be pressure treated. Hopefully you can find anchors designed and approved for contact with ACQ treated lumber. Often it is stated on the box and they are hot dip galvanized or stainless steel. Many home centers only carry the zinc plated type because they are less expensive. At 1/2" it will take a long time to corrode through but it's not bad insurance when you are building new.

Old 03-20-13, 06:22 PM
Awesome. i am using pressure treated for the sill plate. With the french drains I put in, it should stay nice and dry.

I appreciate the help.