new sun room roof?

Old 03-28-13, 08:57 AM
new sun room roof?

I have a pre-fab sun room attached to the back of my house. It has a reflective tar roof. The room gets extremely hot in the summer and cold in the winter. There is no insulation under the ceramic tile floor and I plan on adding some soon.

The ceiling/roof are the problem I'm hoping for help with. The ceiling in the sunroom has metal beams that are rusting at the ends farthest from the house (under the gutter), but the room doesn't leak. The rust was painted over when I bought the house a year ago. How worried should I be? Might shingling the roof, instead of leaving it tar, help? And would shingling the roof help with the heat and cold issues?

Thanks for any help!

I can attach pictures if that would clarify anything.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-13, 09:12 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, please post some pictures of this.

Old 03-28-13, 09:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Changing the roof color might help a little. Shingles don't do well if the pitch is less than 3/12.
Was the rust sanded or wire brushed before it was paint over? Is there any bubbling present?
Insulating the ceiling [if feasible] will help.

Old 03-28-13, 09:45 AM
The pics are attached. The first one is the sunroom from outside, the second is also the outside, under the gutters near where the rust is inside. The third is a closeup of one of the rusty "beams" from inside. The final one is a picture of the entire ceiling of the sunroom to give some perspective.

Attached Images     
Old 03-28-13, 10:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
An exterior pic from the side showing the roof pitch might be help us understand the pitch - but it doesn't appear to be enough for shingles.

I'd wire brush the rust, apply an oil base rust inhibiting primer and touch up the paint. I wouldn't be overly concerned unless it keeps coming back. If that is a water stain over the house window in the bottom pic, use the same primer and take care if it while you are at it

Old 03-28-13, 10:11 AM
I have no idea how we could insulate the ceiling. There doesn't seem to be any space, much less access, between ceiling and roof.

We don't have any details of the paint job. It looks like it may have been sanded, but we only discovered the rust as it bled through the paint, which clearly existed to cover it up.

There is no bubbling.

As someone with zero roofing knowledge, how can I determine the pitch? It's pretty flat, I suppose, but not completely.

Old 03-28-13, 11:35 AM
This picture is taken from the side of the sunroom. Not much slope, you'll see.

If your expert eyes determine shingling isn't an option, does anyone have any other thoughts on how to improve the heat/cold issue, other than insulating the floor?

Attached Images  
Old 03-28-13, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
Nope, not enough pitch for shingles. I'd follow Mark's advice from post # 5.

Old 03-28-13, 11:47 AM
We'll definitely do that for the rust, but we'd also like to help our temp problem. The whole room is aluminum so it's temp is pretty much exactly what it is outside, and nearly impossible to heat/cool.

One other question: Would it be possible to create a roof with greater pitch by running boards from the edge of the sunroom (by the gutter) up to the roof of the house, and then shingle that? And perhaps insulate b/w the tar and "new" roof that would create...? This sounds like it's probably a more major renovation than we're hoping for, though.

Old 03-28-13, 12:02 PM
Group Moderator
Possible? Sure and I had the same thought including how major a project that probably is. Unfortunately, I'm not able to think of anything minor which would help the temperature problem.

Old 03-28-13, 03:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Would it be possible to create a roof with greater pitch by running boards from the edge of the sunroom
Maybe, you'd need someone to look at that wall and make sure it can support it's share of the load.

My suggestion for insulating the ceiling was prior to seeing your pics - which let us know that's not feasible. There might be some insulation up there, I can't imagine anyone building that room without any insulation in the ceiling ...... obviously if it is insulated, it's not enough

Old 03-28-13, 04:28 PM
marksr, there's probably a lot about this build that you wouldn't imagine. We love having the sunroom, but would certainly avoid the company the previous owner had build it like the plague.