Storage shed

Old 04-02-13, 09:35 PM
Storage shed

I want to build a barn style storage shed lika a Tuff shed. I have increased the size to 16x20 & would like to use 2x10's on top of the walls( 16"OC) to create a floor area in the upper loft area of the ceiling. They would span about 15.5 feet & set on 3.5 in on each end. The roof would not be supported by this but the 2x4walls would support both the roof & this floor. Is this to wide a distance to span for this type of dead load? I have a room full of stuff I would like to store on this loft area, not sure of the total weight but your typical garage pile, maybe 1 to 2 thousand pounds. Would the 2x10's with OSB on top be strong enough?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-13, 03:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! 2x10 in select southern pine spaced 16"oc will only span 17' safely. Even with your short dimension, it would push the envelope. Since you already have plans on storing stuff up there, I would recommend either LVL beams, or TJI engineered I beams. Of course you would need to consult with a structural engineer to go over ALL your plans to make sure even your substructure is sufficient to handle the load plus the flooring.

Old 04-03-13, 05:06 AM
Group Moderator
Also check with your Building Inspections and Zoning departments. In most areas a building of that size, even if you call it a shed, will require zoning approval and building permits & inspections.

Old 04-03-13, 06:15 AM
For a 24x30 two car garage that I built for a buddy of mine, he got engineered gambrel trusses through one of our local lumber yards, and it came out very nice; the angles are right, the center is completely open, and although I cannot recall what he said the second floor was rated, I do know for certain that he is very meticulous about such matters, and has a lot of things stored up there.