Shed install in wet backyard

Old 05-17-13, 07:09 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Shed install in wet backyard

I bought the Suncast 98-Cubic Foot Horizontal Blowmolded Shed (Amazon link with pictures) to install in my backyard. My problem or hesitation is that the ground in my backyard gets soaking wet when it rains a lot.

I'm on an end unit home and right next to my house is a big open space that consists of mostly a mound of dirt where not much grass grows. I suspect they placed things there like excess cement and such when the development was first built. Water flows right down from that mound into my backyard, and it doesn't really go anywhere from there. And the back of my backyard slopes up to a line of trees behind my fence, so I can't put the shed there without excavating some dirt and building a retaining wall of some sort (which I don't want to do).

My question is as follows: will I have a problem if I place my shed along my fence on the side of my backyard closest to this open space? Can I just dig under the place I want to put the shed and place several inches of rocks for drainage, and then place the shed on top of that? Or will it sink or get muddy when it rains?

What would you recommend as the best installation procedure for my situation?

Thanks a lot. I hope someone can help me as the longer the shed stays boxed up in my basement, the longer my cat has to get to it.

Old 05-17-13, 08:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
A layer of gravel is a good idea and the thicker the better. It will help elevate the shed and will help provide a firm base. Another option would be concrete pavers under the shed or at least for a small area in front of the door so you are not standing in mud when you access the shed.

I can't imagine you will put enough in the shed to cause it to sink. If you don't put enough in it I would be concerned about it blowing over so you may look for ways to anchor it.

Old 05-17-13, 09:38 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's mostly for an electric lawn mower and some tools. What would be a good way to anchor it?

Old 05-17-13, 09:54 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Some communities have code requirements for anchoring sheds and decks. I house down the road from me purchased a small shed. Most of it landed two houses away after a thunderstorm. Not sure if it caused any damage while getting there, but not a situation you want to deal with. They make screw-in anchors if codes will allow.

If there is a future way to direct that water away from your house you might want to be considering it. As for the water being directed onto your property from that empty lot, that is usually something they would be required to fix. The old standard wording is that a property owner cannot alter the water flow that enters or exits their property.

Bud

Old 05-17-13, 10:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
An ugly but probably the best way to anchor it is with 4 auger anchors into the ground at the base of the shed and 2 metal straps over the roof. Much the way mobile homes are secured. It will help hold the roof on but... it'll be ugly.

Next augers could be run into the ground at each corner of the shed and you can screw a hurricane strap to the side of the shed. A bit less obtrusive but does not help hold the roof on.

Weakest but not visible from the outside is to have a local welding shop weld a nut or large, heavy washer onto the end of 2' or 3' long pieces of 3/8" or 1/2" rebar to make a monster sized nail. Drill some holes around the perimeter of your shed but not in front of the door where you'll stub your toe on them. Use a large hammer to drive the anchors into the ground at an angle so they better resist being pulled straight up. If you ever want to move the shed a pry bar under the head can pull the anchors out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: