Shed Advise

Old 06-28-13, 10:43 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shed Advise

Hi all,

I just purchased a home and for whatever reason the owner had a deck built at ground level in the back yard away from the house. It is about 10x10 and is made of pressure treated lumber that has been stained. It looks like it has 2x6 joists on 24 centers and set on concrete piers. I have been studying this for a possible shed and would like to know if this would be safe for a framed shed or a kit shed like the one's sold at the home improvement stores. I have attached a few pics. Thanks for any advise

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-13, 10:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

The odds are the support for the deck wouldn't be sufficient for the extra load of a building.
I'm not fond of wood framing that close to the ground. It doesn't allow for much air movement so when it gets damp, it stays damp for a long time = shorter life for the wood.

Old 06-28-13, 03:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree somewhat with Marksr, in that it is low to the ground, and we can't actually see the pier supports. HOWEVER, I'd give $300 to have it on a site we are working on today. We are having to pour piers and make a flooring kit for an 8x10 greenhouse/shed for a client. It may require a set of steps to gain entry into your shed, and if you can live with the low to the ground feature, it may suffice. The flooring kits provided with these sheds nowadays have 2x4's spanning the length and width, and on top of that the goofy manufacturer didn't include 10' bands. Instead they included a 6' and a 4' board which causes an immediate weak spot in the support.

What is nice about the kit is you leave your saw in the truck. Everything is custom cut and numbered.....sort of like lincoln logs.

Old 06-28-13, 06:39 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
shed

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply. I am attaching a drawing of the pier layout on the deck. They did use joist hangers for the construction also. I agree that one end is touching the soil so this might be an issue but if the base structure looks strong enough I may be able to raise it to get it off the ground. Thanks

Attached Images