2000 to install 1000 dollar shed?

Old 11-13-13, 08:51 AM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
2000 to install 1000 dollar shed?

Shop Heartland Rainier 10-ft x 10-ft Gambrel Wood Storage Shed (Actuals 10.15-ft x 10.03-ft) at Lowes.com

lowes told me 2000 labor to install this. i dont mind paying for stuff i cannot do but 2000?

a 12x12 shed that is 2700 bucks would cost 3600 to install they said.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-13, 12:51 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
I don't think it's so much "installation" as assembly and construction. It appears that is a material kit and not a assembled building. Since they say it comes in a package 8' long x 4' wide and 20" high so I'm thinking there may be quite a bit of work to assembling/constructing. Also the kit does not include the roof shingles and I assume it is not painted.

You may want to consider other options. Maybe a shed that is complete and delivered to your property and set in place.

Old 11-14-13, 05:48 AM
W
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Shed

Get free plans and compile a bill of materials. Price the materials at your builders supply. Then shop for pre-built sheds as Dane suggested. Then decide which way to go.

Old 11-14-13, 06:10 AM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
i agree assembly is at least an all day job, but some reviews on lowes own site say one guy did it in 5 hours. i havent researched much further though but dang! id think it's more all day job. roof and shingles are in the 2000 and paint is 425.

i wish i could get a shed delivered but i have a steep driveway and even though it's straight and i got a 22 ft truck up there, no way will any kind of trailer get up there. not even a flatbed towtruck can get up cause the angle. the bar on the back hits the road. so i'm stuck.

or is there a crane for less than 1000 bucks that i can have lift about 80 ft up the driveway

Old 11-14-13, 06:28 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
My last shed was/is a 10' x 16' and I can move it around by myself. Placed on some type of skid assembly, using some pipes as rollers, you should be able to winch a new shed up that driveway.

Our local shed company has a flatbed truck (like the tow trucks use) and he drops his sheds right where needed. Even if they had to lay down some planks (cross wise) to even out the dip at the bottom of the driveway, seems like they could get a truck up there. Just guessing.

But $2,000 for one days work, not me either. I'm old and I'm still building them from scratch.

Bud

Old 11-22-13, 12:53 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Check out a company called "Everlast Sheds" and see if there is a local sales dealer near you. You may be able to save some money; provided you perform some of the work as I did. Most installations either use a concrete base or a bed of stone 4 inches high bordered by 4 by 4's. I chose to perform the stone bed install myself. The shed siding comes primed. I also did the painting.
However, the price quoted sounds close to reasonable for what is required in construction.
Here is a breakdown of my cost for materials and labor.
16 X 12 X 10 foot Carriage Shed........................................................$2229.00
Upgrade Window 22 inches X 24 inches....................................................10.00
(2) Extra 22 X 24 Window.....................................................................120.00
(2) Extra flower boxes & Shutter..............................................................44.00
Pair of Vents..........................................................................................10.00
Permanent ramp 64 inches wide at entrance..............................................80.00

Sub-Total.................2493.00
Sales Tax................. 149.58
Total Materials.........$2642.58

The labor cost for assembling the shed with 2 men...................................$545.00
Cost of job.........................................................................................$3187.58

However, the labor and materials that I supplied are not included. So the actual real cost is much higher.
Now what you need to do is go to a sales dealer and look at the different models and check out the materials used in construction. My shed came as a kit and I think most do. Two men had it assembled in 1 day. My shed was built 2 years ago.
I do not know anything about the quality of what Lowes provides in their sheds.
Good Luck.

Old 01-26-14, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When my family and I moved to this city 20+ years ago, I bought a prebuilt 12' x 16' with windows and two doors. It was a 8 x 6 skids. I dug a 4" deep 12' x 16' hole, put weedblock down and filled it with 3/4" gravel. The company brought it in with a tow truck kind of vehicle, laid down four 12" x 12" pavers, slid the building down, centered and leveled it. I paid the man, he drove away without hardly a a bent blade of grass in the back yard. It was much less than any packaged kit and not much more than what the raw materials would have cost at the time.

Over time, I ran a 220 circuit out there and put up two 110 circuits (interior lights and sockets) with a fused disconnect panel (grounded, of course). It was a beautiful shop and yard equipment storage place. Spent many hours out there with a fan and a small heater. Great place to putter.

I drive by there everyday and that shed is still there getting good use. I would strongly recommend a pre-built. And even if you hire a couple of kids to dig and prep the location, you'll still be way ahead.