Installing a 14 foot Retractable Awning

Old 11-22-13, 01:11 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a 14 foot Retractable Awning

Hello everyone,
I need to know what materials are available to mount this awning in a safe manner. The awning weighs between 135 to 150 lbs. So working off of ladders while trying to hold and lift it into position is out of the question. So I am thinking I need a scaffold and maybe some type of winch. The videos that are on the web only show the installers mounting the brackets and not the actual lifting of the awning into place. Two to four men may be required to do this.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-13, 03:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Don't know what type awning you are referring to, but the ones I have installed take 2 or 3 people to lift and install, without question. Not a solo act at all. Scaffolding is the best method if you have a level base such as a deck to work off of.

Old 11-22-13, 05:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
Lifting them while working off a ladder is commonly done but it's not a solo project. Scaffolding or pump jacks would help but I still don't think it's a solo job. There is no way around the fact that it's long and heavy. I do find that a good ladder makes a big difference. Light duty, cheap ladders easily twist and flex making almost anything dangerous while a quality heavy duty ladder can provide a much more sturdy and safe perch to work from.

I have front end loaders and an excavator so I put a sling on things like that and let the machinery lift it. It works but when working alone it can still mean a lot of back and forth to lift it just a bit higher or move it a bit one way or the other. You could also rent a man lift that has enough capacity to lift you and the awning.

Old 11-22-13, 10:12 AM
R
Thanks All,
I know its at least a two man job and I have two friends and a nephew (three strong men) to help me out. At my age, I can only do an assist on tasks like this. I'll take a look at the rental companies to see whats available.

Last edited by rjordan393; 11-22-13 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-22-13, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Unless this is on a second story I find it hard to imagine 2 average men on step ladders couldn't hold it in place while the third puts the bolts in if needed. The ones I've seen (and sold), the awning mechanism itself just sort of slides in or on the brackets and once adjusted it is bolted in place.

Old 11-22-13, 11:57 AM
R
The step ladders will be on grass that is slightly higher in the back of the ladder. But even so, I was able to install the brackets myself. I have to see if three men feel comfortable after picking up the awning and holding it straight out for about 5 seconds. Then we will know if step ladders are safe enough to use. Its been very long time since I lifted this type of weight; so I have to leave it to the younger men.

Old 12-06-13, 07:44 AM
R
Thanks,
The four brackets are installed and the awning has been delivered. I will wait until Spring to mount the awning. Its motor comes with 20 feet or electrical cord with a 115-120 volt rated plug. It should be rated for outdoor use. I will have to look into it. The electrical cord is protected from the weather by a soffit and the ceiling area of my patio.The only things left to do after the awning is mounted, is to program the remote control. Then extend the awning and check the level and pitch and make adjustments if necessary.
Then wire up the wind sensor to the control panel, which is highly recommended.