Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Greenhouses, Sheds and Sun Rooms
Reload this Page >

Permit requires sealed blueprints by certified engineer?

Old 03-03-14, 05:48 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

Apparently, our current law in the Tampa area says a storage shed permit under 400 sq/ft needs a blueprint signed by a certified FL engineer. Suncast, Lifetime, Rubbermaid and all these other storage shed companies do not offer any blueprints, yet I see them in every other neighbors' yards. They obviously didn't get any blueprint and without a blueprint, no permit. Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-14, 05:54 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
400 sq ft is still a garage. I would double check as I often hear sheds under 8x8 or in that range need nothing. There may also be a difference between buying and building something. Best to talk directly with them. I doubt if many certified engineers are going around hanging their hat on an 8x10 shed.

Bud

Old 03-03-14, 06:07 PM
D
I've talked to the permit office multiple times and finally in person with a 3 page dimensional diagram from Suncast of the 7x7' shed thinking that was ok. They denied it.

They said Lowes or Home Depot sell the blueprints, so we run over there. No luck. Multiple career employees never even heard of anyone asking for a blueprint.

I feel like I'm part of an insiders practical joke, but we've invested so much time, money and effort trying to do it by the book.

Old 03-03-14, 07:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
7x7 is only 49 sf. Yours is going to be 20 x 20. Big difference. Apple and pear so to speak. I have not seen that large a "shed" without plans from the manufacturer. Is this stick built? Who makes the building.

Old 03-03-14, 09:32 PM
D
The one I want is only 7x7 -- sorry for the confusion. The permit is for a shed under 400sqft.

Old 03-04-14, 05:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Are you sure you need a permit for that size shed? Locally we don't need a permit for any shed under 100 sq ft. Have you talked with any of your neighbors to see what they went thru when they got their little sheds?

Old 03-04-14, 05:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 49 Posts
City of Tampa or Hillsborough County rules?

This is how the info page reads in our city [bold type added]:

"If you are adding a shed or a fence, you will need 4 copies of your site plan showing where the shed or fence will be placed along with the set backs from your property lines (both sides and rear). If you are erecting a shed other than those purchased in kit form, then we will need plans and engineering information".

Old 03-04-14, 05:18 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
If you don't have a copy of the local codes, request one and ask them to point out the wording that applies. I'm a pain, so I would also take pictures of a bunch of sheds at different addresses and check their file to see if permits were pulled and plans submitted. All submitted plans should be in each file and those files available to the public. If you find approved plans, note who built the sheds and who signed off on the plans.

If there are inconsistencies, like others having sheds without plans and permits, that should be addressed at a town meeting.

Being FL, there may be hurricane concerns. Even way up north they have anchor requirements for sheds and decks. A poorly built shed down there would join the flying debris rather quickly. But there needs to be a uniform path for all to follow and if others are not that should be corrected.

Bud

Old 03-04-14, 05:56 AM
D
Hillsborough County. Did you see a "kit form" exception for Hillsborough? I'll look and call again, but multiple people examined what we wanted to do. The site plan was approved at least.