Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Greenhouses, Sheds and Sun Rooms
Reload this Page >

Planning on building a shed and need some advice.

Planning on building a shed and need some advice.

Old 03-09-14, 06:58 PM
Question Planning on building a shed and need some advice.

We currently have two sheds on our property, one for a riding lawnmower, and another for an assortment of garden tools and other junk. Both seem as though they'll fall over any day now and I would like to replace them. If possible I'd like to tear them both down and replace them with one, larger, nicer "shed" that I may even turn into a bit of a workshop. I have all sorts of questions and I know there are tons of codes and regulations but for now I need to know how big I should be planning this building. I'm willing to put in a small concrete slab foundation, but don't want to do much more than that. Any idea on how large a structure a foundation like that could support? Once again, I know a huge deal is all the codes but I'm looking for a very rough estimate. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-14, 07:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Rough estimate on what?
Only you know what your needs are going to be.
No one has ever built a shed or garage to big.
A lot depends on your local zoning codes, property lines, set backs, any height restrictions, lot size.
Consider at least a 24 X 24 garage not a shed.
10' ceilings.
60 amp. panel.
Make sure the slab is at least 6" above grade.
Over hangs on all sides.

Old 03-10-14, 10:48 AM
I meant is there a max size for that kind of foundation. How large can a concrete slab foundation with no reinforcement be before it becomes too weak to be a functional foundation anymore?

Old 03-10-14, 11:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you mean a concrete footer or a monolithic slab [the footer is integral] A lot depends on the soil conditions as to what is needed for the foundation, getting down to the frost line is also a concern. Anything other than a little metal shed would need some type of footer. Basically all construction is similar.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 03-10-14, 12:34 PM
I'm not completely sure... Sorry I've never worked with a foundation before. I want to just lay out a single "square" of concrete with no rebar for reinforcement and no footers. From some research it seems as though this is possible and done quite often for medium sized sheds but maybe I'm missing something. Does this sound like it would work?

Old 03-10-14, 01:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Why do you want to leave out the rebar and footer? The rebar keeps the slab from breaking and or settling and the footer gives you a stable base to build from.

Old 03-10-14, 02:20 PM
it seemed like it wasn't necessary but I guess that's wrong which is okay. I would rather not have if I didn't need to because that seems like quite a bit extra time and money. I definitely can though

Old 03-10-14, 02:37 PM
Just an update we've decided to go bigger on the "shed" to where it may be considered a garage. I know I'm a bit of topic now but as far as the foundation goes does anyone know where I could find some info or examples for a building around 15x20 ft? Thanks!

Old 03-11-14, 04:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your local permit office can let you know the requirements for the foundation [size, depth, etc]

Old 03-11-14, 05:42 AM
Group Moderator
In many areas when you pour concrete it ceases being a temporary shed and becomes a permanent structure and must meet building codes. This is often independent of size so a concrete floor or footing of any size can mean you have to follow the building codes.

Old 04-02-14, 02:01 PM
Fairfax County now allows for up to 200 square feet without requiring a permit as long as it has a single story.