Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Greenhouses, Sheds and Sun Rooms
Reload this Page >

Serious problem with erosion and need solution..

Old 05-20-14, 08:38 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi, New to the forum!!

I built a 12x16 shed back in 2009, at the time I thought I had a good stable foundation (attached pic). Well several storms last year and this year have caused a massive amount of erosion and several cinder blocks have became unstable leading to the shed not being level anymore. I want to lower the height of the shed and get it back to being level. I have tossed around the idea of using treated 4x4 posts in concrete for the footings but not sure if I could do that task or how to do it by myself. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Images  
Old 05-20-14, 10:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

IMO instead of lowering the shed it would be better to jack it up level and then rebuild whichever piers need it. It sounds like you either didn't pour a footer for the piers or the footer wasn't deep enough.

Old 05-20-14, 11:49 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have contemplated doing that as well instead of putting in posts. Only thing under the cinder blocks is about 4inches of gravel but that was no match for the amount of water that rushed down the hill.

Old 05-20-14, 02:00 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
One consideration is that in many areas the minute you pour concrete or create a footer or foundation it becomes a permanent structure and must comply with building and zoning codes. Dry stacked blocks and gravel allows it to escape a lot of regulation as a temporary structure.

I would stick with what you've got. First I would grade outside the shed to no water is flowing underneath. If that's not possible I'd grade underneath the shed so the water flows around your piers without eroding their base. Either build up along a line of piers or dig a shallow valley between them to direct the water. You can also put gravel underneath the shed to help slow the water and reduce erosion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: