Shed Roof - Span Question

Old 05-20-14, 12:30 PM
Shed Roof - Span Question

I'll try and keep this as simple as possible. My structure is small enough that it doesn't require a permit but Im not going to use that as an excuse to scab together a death trap which is why Im here.

I'm planning on building a roof structure atop a shed structure to create an attic-type storage space. I was planning on setting 2x6 (16" OC) on the walls as the attic floor. From there I would frame 30" tall 'attic walls' atop the 2x6s and set homebuilt trusses atop these walls. The span is 138 (outside to outside) by 10-0 deep.

Heres where it gets sketchywith a 6/12 pitch I can get away with using 2x4x8s and not have to cut them much. I would like to nail them to a ridge truss (2x6???) up top, birds mouth the bottom to sit on the 30 walls and either avoid using collar ties, or place them at the very top right against the ridge truss (to maintain headroom). Im not opposed to going as tight as 12 OC with the 2x4x8s for the roof to beef it up, its only 100 deep and the difference between that and 16 OC is only 2 more boards. It has to support snow loads typical to Idaho.

Hopefully thats not clear as mud. If it is Ill see about whipping up a drawing to help illustrate whats going on. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-14, 12:21 PM
Ignore the above, I went through the whole thing to explain it better but I can't edit my original post (probably because I'm new).

I'll try and keep this as simple as possible. My structure is small enough that it doesn't require a permit but Im not going to use that as an excuse to scab together a death trap which is why Im here. My wife isnt crazy about the traditional gambrel shed roofs and wants something different. This will be used to store lawn junk and everything else I dont want in my garage.

I'm planning on building 14W x 10D shed on an existing concrete pad with a 6W x 10D lean-to off of one side for a total footprint of 20W x 10D. I want to get creative with the roof structure to create a partial attic-type storage space above the shed and the lean-to (more on that later). The shed walls will be 2x4x8 @ 16 OC. The lean-to support will be two 4x4s holding up a beam made from (2) 2x6s (spanning the 10D). On top of this entire thing will be 2x6 @ 15 OC w/sheathing for the floor structure of the attic. So far pretty basic
Heres where it gets sketchy. The roof will be multi-pitch, 2x4 and as tight as 12 OC if need be. Each side will have an 18 exterior wall on top of the attic floor. Each side will have a 30 knee wall located 36 inside the exterior wall. These will act as support for rafters forming a shed roof with a 4/12 pitch on each side. Covering the middle portion will be a set of rafters resting on each knee wall forming a 6/12 pitched gable (could do 7 or 8 /12 pitch if necessary) again as tight as @ 12 OC that spans 138 outside knee wall-to-knee wall. Options here include a 2x6 ridge board and/or collar ties (as high as possible) if necessary. The roof needs to support snow loads typical to Idaho. My biggest concern is the structural integrity of the gable and its ability to safely span the 138.
Reasons for this design:
The wife likes the ascetics
Attic space
Almost the entire lumber package can be 80 except for a select few 2x6x10s reducing cost
Fits the existing concrete pad

If you have any input I would greatly appreciate it, thank you in advance.