Thoughts on raised garden bed materials

Old 05-20-14, 04:06 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on raised garden bed materials

So my wife doesn't want to use chemically treated lumber for the beds so I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the type of wood to use. I looked at cedar but it seems awful spendy...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-14, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
How about I suggest you use Redwood? That way the price of cedar will look more appealing.

Old 05-21-14, 11:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
I have used pressure treated lumber. Then line the inside of the bed, everything that will touch soil, with galvanized steel flashing. The flashing can be held in place with roofing nails. Avoid the temptation to use aluminum flashing even though it's cheaper and easier to work with as it can rapidly corrode in contact with treated lumber and it's not as resistant to being cut by a shovel or hoe.

Old 05-21-14, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I've also heard of people using pond or shower liner. Of course it won't take UV or tool damage.

Old 06-05-14, 02:20 PM
E
My parents recently put in raised beds using this kit - I believe they got it from Lowe's. They are older and didn't want to build one from scratch, so it was a good alternative for them.

Old 06-05-14, 03:10 PM
I have used raised beds off and on for about 40 years using what materials were available and seemed to work. Never any liner and I allowed the excess moisture from rain to weep out through the joints and flush the garden from the CCA, creosote and ACQ that could come out of the wood or excessive fertilizer. This was done in several states, but all had some rain (often heavy) in the summer but watering was necessary, so the moisture flow was outward from the soil. I even put in a weeping system for watering in several homes I lived in.

I know the moisture flow was outward because all of the grass the natural flow below was very lush because of the fertilizing.

I am old and surviving, but had some concerns after the fact.

Dick