Shed Build - Need Guidance

Old 06-04-14, 07:10 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shed Build - Need Guidance

I am building a 10' x 12' monoslope/skillion style shed.

Name:  shedsmall.jpg
Views: 19841
Size:  31.9 KB

I am trying to determine the best roof set up.

Should I be using 2x4, 2x6, or 2x8's. What is the best sheeting to use for this structure?

What is the ideal roofing... shingles/metal?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-14, 08:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
Do a search for "joist span table" and you'll find many tables and calculators to help you find what size lumber you need for the roof. The size will largely depend on the span (I assume your's will be 10') and the joist spacing and also involve the load and type of wood. Just guessing I'd say 2x6" will put you right on the borderline at 16" spacing and you'd probably to go up to 2x8" in Minnesota to handle the snow load.

What pitch will your roof be? Personally I don't like to use shingles on anything less than 4:12 pitch. For shallower pitches I'd go with metal, and metal can be used on steeper pitches if that's what you want.

I think your big problem will be finishing off and boxing in your roof joists. Notching the joist and setting them in place will be relatively easy. Then you'll slap on the roof and start finishing and realize you're going to have a lot of work enclosing and boxing in around your joists. I don't know of a magic/easy way. It's just going to be labor intensive.

Old 06-04-14, 11:52 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Also looks like there's only one top plate over those windows, should be a double plate.
Need cripples under the openings for the windows.
Also never should have been built in direct contact with the ground.
2 X's are not direct contact rated, and the sheathing needs to be at least 6" above grade.

Old 06-04-14, 12:53 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
It looks pretty close to the fence. Are you okay as far as zoning and not having snow rain and snow falling onto the neighbors property?