Painting repaired pergola

Old 06-05-14, 10:19 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting repaired pergola

Hi,
I had to have my pergola repaired (the last person didn't use the correct wood and the beams literally rotted away). The new pergola is a combination of some of the original painted boards, some new treated boards, and two new cedar beams.

I understand that the painting has to wait to let the gases escape from the treated wood, but the painter is telling me it can't be painted until next spring. I'm in Michigan and we just went through the worst winter in a long time. Is it necessary to wait that long, and will the winter do damage to any of the pieces?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Old 06-05-14, 01:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
PT wood generally takes 6 weeks to 6 months to dry out where it can safely be painted. A lot depends on how wet the wood is when installed and the environment it's exposed to. Sun and wind will dry the wood out quicker than shade or areas that allow it to stay damp for extended periods.

It will probably be safe to paint it by late summer or early fall. It's doubtful you'd need to wait until spring.

Old 06-08-14, 08:40 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks, Marksr -

I appreciate your reply. All knowledgeable people I have talked to around here all say 6 months. That would put me in November and it's not likely they would be able to paint in Michigan in November, especially if it's a winter like we just had! So that's probably why the painter said spring. So we'll see ...

I don't come on this site that often, but when I do I always get good answers. Thanks!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: