Truss for shed; CONFUSED

Old 07-08-14, 09:42 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Truss for shed; CONFUSED

Hi fellow DIY guys. I need help with my 12'5" by 16' shed...which has a 6ft porch. I was originally going to build it out of wooden pallets but the building inspector said..."NO"...LOL. So I am building it conventional 2x4 stud walls.

I have the walls up, squared and the top plate on. I have attached a rough drawing of the deminsions. My question and issue is how to go about building the roof.
I was going by a video I found online, but lost it, which I believe advised to build a truss with rafters the full wideth of the floor (plus any over hang)....centered on the floor versus the shed....but with a bottom chord the size of the shed...12'5" (see illustration #2). When I started cutting...things just didn't look right & I am now confused. Is this the correct way...or should I use a full length bottom chord of 18ft? (See illustration #1).

NEED HELP!!!

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Shed.drawing.PDF (23.7 KB, 253 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-14, 10:19 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I think you need to go back to the books. Trusses are engineered assemblies that are factory made and NOT site assembled. What your sketch shows are rafters, albeit without a ridge beam.

Rafters will require larger than 2x4 lumber but they are fairly easy to calculate and ARE site assembled. The two biggest feature of truss construction is it is far quicker to get the roof built and generally there is no need for load-bearing interior walls. In your case rafters make more sense to me.

Old 07-08-14, 11:07 AM
L
Yes...traditional trusses are engineered. The common language I have been seeing online, referring to "on-site built trusses"...is the word "truss". I have pasted a common video regarding these non-tradition trusses. (The rafters and bottom chord are 2x6's on my shed. ) I will post some pics when I get home today.

Our Shed Plans & eBook | Country Life Projects

Tiny House - Build Your Own Trusses - YouTube

Here is a pic of what I am going for...although my porch is probably 3 ft wider.

Name:  shed with porch.jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  13.9 KB

Old 07-08-14, 04:32 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
You may, of course, do whatever you desire as I will not be visiting your structure. I will guarantee that if you are building this structure under permit that the building inspector will NOT accept site-built trusses.

Old 08-19-14, 10:48 AM
T
I know this is metal, but maybe it will give you an idea for design. This is on my Temloc steel building. Name:  IMG_4903.jpg
Views: 2484
Size:  34.4 KB