Repairs, what should I use?

Old 07-15-14, 05:34 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairs, what should I use?

Hi guys,

New to the forum, so hello!

I have a semi-portable greenhouse, a steel-framed job with a plastic cover. It's starting to become a bit shredded and I believe something has been nibbling the bottom left corner so there is a hole of about 2 inches by 1 inch high. Most people complain about the zips going on these ones, but they seem fine so i'm guessing i'll repair it so it lasts another year. Just wondering hat I should repair it with? Guessing come sort of plastic?

Anyone had the same experience?

Thanks
Alan.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-14, 05:39 AM
A
Just found this - Greenhouse Polythene

I searched in google for greenhouse repair plastic and this came as number one. Is this the sort of thing?

Old 07-15-14, 08:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 623 Posts
The polyethylene plastic you linked is probably a different plastic than your green house. Most greenhouse kit's I've seen use clear vinyl. If you want to try the poly sheeting make sure you get the kind sold for exterior use as the stuff sold in most home centers is not UV protected and last only one season outside.

If you just want to repair the hole you can probably use clear vinyl. Many fabric stores sell it as it's used for furniture covers or tent windows. Much of what is sold in the US is probably thicker than your cover but it should not matter for a repair but depending on where you are located you might find something closer to the thickness of your greenhouse. Attaching the patch you have several choices. You can use clear packing tape. It will hold for a while but will not last long term. You can sew the patch in place with needle and thread. It won't be totally waterproof but that should not matter. And, there is PVC cement specifically for welding clear vinyl sheeting. It's a rather specialized glue so you might have to order it or get it from an industrial suppliers. You can also try the cement sold with vinyl raft (kids toy) patch kits.

Old 07-16-14, 04:41 AM
A
Hi Pilot Dane!

Thanks for the reply. Of it looks like vinyl will be more suitable. I'm heading into town today so a trip to the drapers will be added to the list. Hopefully I'll find something similar!

Thanks.