simple lean to on gravel storage pad

Old 10-18-14, 11:44 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
simple lean to on gravel storage pad

We have a space behind the garage where we put in about 4" of crushed granite last year. We would like to put a simple shed in part of this area. It doesn't need to be much more than a basic shelter for some things we'd like to get out of the garage. I was wondering if we could simply sink some posts through the gravel and into the ground below (with concrete) for two of the corners, and then fasten the other side onto the back wall of the garage - or if it would be necessary to keep the structure completely separate from the garage if the shed weren't going to have an actual foundation.
Alternately, we could sink four posts or we could build a completely freestanding unit, but have to keep the existing decomposed granite as a base in mind.
For size, it wouldn't be any larger than 4 x 8.
I'm just needing some pointers to get me started on a plan for something that won't be too complicated or too much work. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-14, 01:51 PM
If you don't have any zoning and code problems, you could build the 4x8 shed on a couple of skids and then drag it to where you want to. - Could have to relocate it after a big storm and make sure you have insurance in case your shed hits a neighbors house if you are in an area with possible hurricanes or tornadoes.

Dick

Old 10-19-14, 09:37 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You'd soon see 4 X 8 is going to be way to small and anything under it's going to get wet from blowing rain and splash back.
What type siding is on the garage?
I'd be doing a shed style roof sort of like this.
attached shed style roof - Bing Images

Old 10-19-14, 03:11 PM
A
I was planning on just a lawnmower and odds and ends - just enough to clear some floor space in the garage. And also planning on something to enclose it instead of just leaving it open air. The garage has Hardiplank siding.

Old 10-19-14, 04:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
4' width will really feel narrow once you enclose it in, can you make it wider?

Old 10-20-14, 03:12 PM
A
Yes, it can be wider. The 4 x 8 was just what I had in mind would be large enough but I'm not limited to that.

Old 10-20-14, 03:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I'd opt for wider. 4' once enclosed is very narrow and you can never have too much storage space