Gaps around my shed windows

Old 10-28-14, 09:01 AM
Gaps around my shed windows

hello,

so i decided to take on the monumental task (for me) of building a 12x12 single slope roof (lean-to-type) shed from scratch. every step of the way has been a challenge, but i am finally up to the finishing touches and i came across a problem that has me baffled...
here's the problem:
the back wall is 8 feet tall and the front is 10 feet tall. In the front, above an 8 foot wall is a gap i left open for some two foot tall windows. i framed out the windows (in the shed wall), placed some "found", used windows (cut to size) in the openings and there are some gaps between the windows and the window frames...at most a half an inch...and definitely NOT square (meaning the gap tapers to a point).
i obviously made some mistakes (maybe my opening isn't square, maybe my cut-down of the windows wasn't square), but what i was wondering is if i can fill those gaps with caulking and paint it over, or are those gaps just too much for a caulking job.
any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by mattkalman; 10-28-14 at 09:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-14, 10:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Matt!

That's a bit much for caulking but it can be done. Large cracks caulk best if you use a backer rod to fill the gap first. If you post a few pics we might be able to suggest a better solution - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 10-28-14, 11:15 AM
thanks for the reply. i'll try and get a picture up next week.
i was also thinking of putting some finishing molding around the wind (on the outside) and caulking around that.
thanks again.