Need advice arbor footing repair.

Old 06-06-15, 05:51 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need advice arbor footing repair.

I am adding a ground level deck on floating piers under a 10 x 10 arbor. It has 4 4x4s set in the ground. I had to excavate to get the correct height. In doing so I discovered the person who installed this long before it was mine, only added about 4" concrete about 2" below the surface which all disintegrated when I touched it. I live in upstate NY. The arbor seems sturdy enough and over the years has not sagged heaved or sunk. It is still level and no less solid than it was before I excavated. I did not remove all the dirt from around the posts just the insides of them.
So my question is this, is there a way to repair this? Is there any point in replacing the 4" concrete?
Thanks for any advice.
SC

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-15, 05:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Are the posts set in concrete?
pics would help us better understand what you have - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 06-06-15, 07:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 627 Posts
You ask about repairing the arbor but spent a lot of time telling about it's great condition so I think you sorta answered your own question. It really comes down to how much work do you want. If it's as solid as you say you could go easy and leave it the way it is. If going that route I would compact crushed stone into the holes around the posts as added insurance. Or, if you want to turn it into a bigger project you can excavate holes for sonotubes and pour concrete piers, and cut off the bottom of the existing posts and mount them to brackets above grade on the piers.

Old 06-06-15, 08:36 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I do not know what they are set in. ..and for some reason I cannot upload from my phone

Old 06-06-15, 10:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 627 Posts
If you're trying to upload directly to the forum try downsizing your photos. Picture files directly from my phone are huge. I can't remember the photo size limit for the DIY forum but I'd try sizing the picture down so the long side is about 800 pixels. If you upload your photo to a web photo hosting site like Photobucket you don't have the size restriction since the photo is actually stored somewhere off the forum.