Shed foundation help

Old 06-20-15, 07:39 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shed foundation help

Hi I am putting up a small shed. I had a slab pouted but unfortunately it is now below grade. I am concerned about water obviously My plan was to raise the foundation using cinder blocks spaced out on the slab then building a floor on top. This will raise the floor 10" . I want to build the lawn up around the blocks. I was going to do this by securing boards to the floor and leave a gap between the boards and the slab. My concern the water standing on the slab and not draining properly. How can I prevent this?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-15, 07:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Why not just build the shed floor flat on top of the slab using green treated 2x4's? That will only raise up the shed 3 1/2". You could do larger (2x6) if you wanted but that will only raise it up more so you will need a steeper ramp.

Another option is to pour another layer of concrete on top to raise up the floor and build on top of that.

By building directly on the slab you should not have any issues with water.

Old 06-20-15, 07:47 AM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
Got a picture?
Sounds like you should be building a stem wall on top of the slab, then build the shed on top of that.
That sheathing and siding needs to be at least 6" above any grade or it's going to rot out and stay covered with splash back.

Old 06-20-15, 08:06 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply! My or in all plan was to use 66 around the edge as a foundation then the floor on top. Im just worried like I said about water getting trapped in there. The treated wood you mentioned won't rot over time if the soil is against it?

Old 06-20-15, 08:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
The treated wood you mentioned won't rot over time if the soil is against it?
Green treated is what you want to use anytime lumber is in contact with the ground or concrete. If it is rated for ground contact, it will not rot even with water around. Make sure to treat any cuts you make to the foundation boards.