Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Greenhouses, Sheds and Sun Rooms
Reload this Page >

How to set posts for attached pergola over patio

Old 06-28-15, 03:12 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi!

I am looking for viable options for how to set two posts for building an attached pergola. Here are some details.

I have a 12' x 12' concrete patio with slate pattern right when you exit the house to the backyard. I want to build a pergola over the patio, and plant some vines to cover it eventually. It looks like an attached design makes most sense, so I need to set two posts only, at or near the outside corners of the patio.

My question is - how to do it so it is reasonably secure but without overdoing it? I was hoping to avoid drilling holes and messing with cement but I'll do it if needs be. I am kinda thinking that I can put concrete post-holding blocks (not sure about the name of the thing) in each of the outside corners, attach them in some way to the patio, and set posts in them. Is that a decent option? How exactly to better do it?

Or I should really dig holes and do the full concrete setting of the posts outside the patio?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-15, 05:03 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
There are post brackets you can attach to the top of your existing slab by drilling and installing anchor bolts. It's not 100% proper since you probably don't have concrete thick enough for a footer but it could be quick and easy. More proper would be to dig holes for proper column footers filled with concrete. The depth would depend on your location and the size would depend on the mass of the pergola.

Old 06-28-15, 06:26 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

How do I figure out what thickness of the slab is formally enough, so I can use brackets?

Also, how do I figure out the depth and size of the holes, I mean, how to estimate the weight of the pergola (I am going to just buy wood and build, kinda like in this video I found, only smaller, perhaps 8x12 as far as the placement of the posts go (the actual roof size will be bigger because of the overhang).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W50BPUmk_eI