Shed door facelift

Old 03-17-16, 06:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shed door facelift

I'm planning on replacing the 2x4s on my shed doors as the current ones are in rough shape. In this picture, you can kinda see the right vertical 2x4 on the left door is really bad...the top and bottom of it have rotted. The others aren't too bad but they are all showing signs of splitting which can't really be seen in this picture (wish pictures could be larger here).

Name:  20160316_174634.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  15.4 KB

Also, the doors don't quite shut right. It appears they aren't lined up properly and I think it might be because of these piano hinges:

Name:  20160316_174712.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  26.3 KB

They're nailed it and it looks like where they're nailed in is flattened out more than where they aren't nailed in. And in some spots it also seems like the hinge isn't quite flush against the 2x4 it's nailed to.

So my idea is to of course get some new 2x4s cut to the appropriate sizes, paint them to match as closely as possible to the original color, and screw them onto the door. Currently they're just nailed in. Then I'm thinking of getting some strap hinges that screw onto the exterior of the doors.

I did find that the door panels themselves are slightly different sizes...there's about an inch size variance between the two. Not sure if I actually need to do anything about that....

Any advice before I tackle this project?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-16, 06:58 AM
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
#1, That shed needs to be lifted, that type siding and any unpressure treated wood should have been at least 6" above grade.
I use PVC lumber for the cross bucks and trim so they no longer rot.
I use hinges like this, but try to through bolt them to there's nothing to pull out.

Old 03-17-16, 07:21 AM
Received 106 Votes on 97 Posts
If you want to go cheap you can use furring strips as a replacement. They will rot in time also but they are cheap.

Joe forgot to post pic of the suggest hinge. Use a strap hinge similar to this.

Old 03-17-16, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the pointers so far.

I don't want to go too cheap...would like something to last at least a little while. Even though it is a townhouse and won't be my "forever" home, I wouldn't mind making it last while I'm there and maybe a bit longer without breaking the bank too much. Thinking at least some pressure treated 2x4s...looks like I should be able to get what I'd need for the doors and the trim around the doors for about $25 from HD.

Those type of hinges were definitely what I had in mind...good point about through bolting.

I'm also gonna have to get in there and clean it out again but do a more thorough job, and probably even seal up the seams inside. Though I realize the door is still gonna allow for stuff to get in.

Old 03-17-16, 07:48 AM
Received 106 Votes on 97 Posts
If you're worried about vermin and insects do what I do. I line the inside of the shed with moth balls. Never had even so much as a spider or wasp try to settle in. If you have kids or pets then put the moth balls in a container with lots of small holes in it. Refresh about once a month.

Old 03-17-16, 08:07 AM
Yeah, insects mostly. No trace of other critters getting in there from what I can tell; the big thing is those darn spider crickets, some small spiders, and the occasional small lizard. I did see a small hornet's nest on the wall yesterday when I shot those pictures...I'll have to knock that down before they come back.

Oh, another question, and pardon my ignorance on this one...what would the purpose be of those metal rods on the back side of the door? Both doors have them in that pattern...I'm assuming some type of support?

Old 03-17-16, 05:54 PM
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
Nope not the hinge I was going to post.
Everbilt 6 in. x 4.25 in. Black Heavy Duty Decorative Tee Hinge-15031 - The Home Depot
Pressure treated 2 X 4's for what, the cross bucks?
Not a great choice, they would sick out to far and and would take months to dry out enough to paint or stain.

Old 03-18-16, 03:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
what would the purpose be of those metal rods on the back side of the door?
They help keep the door from warping. Should have a turnbuckle w/threads so you can adjust it if needed.

If you install flashing above the door to direct the rain away from the top of the door that should prevent rot. Even if you use PVC trim it is still needed to prevent siding portion of the door from getting wet and rotting.