What base for my shed?

Old 05-05-16, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool What base for my shed?

Hi there -

New to the idea of a shed in my back yard. I have talked to two builders about their sheds. One builds with wood floor and has wood and then two "skid" like things it sits on where you've put concrete block down for support. The other one has a wood floor attached to a galvanized steel 'apron' around the bottom of the floor. I guess it has the steel supports every 24 Inches to support the shed.
Which should I be looking for? Does it make a difference? Is there some other part of the shed that I should be more concerned with?

I just need a bit more room in my garage and it's turning into a marathon finding out what to get.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-16, 02:28 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If those are the only 2 choices, I don't like the galvanized steel idea. Have you looked at pre-fab sheds @ Home Cheapo?

Old 05-05-16, 06:21 PM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
You "guess" there's steel supports?
Never once seen a shed with "steel supports"
What size is the shed? Whole lot of things to be concerned with.
Not enough 4 X 4's to give enough support under the door opening.
Stapled shingles or siding instead of nails.
1/2" instead of 3/4" subflooring.
2 X 3's instead of 2 X 4 walls.
No over hangs on the the outside walls on the roof.

Old 05-05-16, 08:47 PM
And this is exactly why I am scared to get out there and get one. I have a big "I don't know what I'm doing here" sign on my forehead. I know that the guy said that the sub flooring was 3/4 inch and that they used 2 x 4s throughout. Everything was nailed. Hurricane tie down things were also included.
I thought that the sheds from the box stores were supposed to be cheaply made? I also heard that the non-wood ones don't stand up to the Florida heat. I am going by there tomorrow for something else. I will check them out. Looking at something around 6 x 8 or maybe 8 x 8.
I appreciate your input.

Old 05-06-16, 03:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Some shed manufacturers offer options of galvanized framed flooring. I will be installing a shed for a client next week, and suggested she let us build her a pt framed base, which, IMO, would be a little stiffer and could probably withstand moisture over the long run better than the galvanized framing, which was very thin material to begin with. We will be using 3/4" Advantech for the actual flooring.

Old 05-06-16, 05:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I also heard that the non-wood ones don't stand up to the Florida heat.
The heat shouldn't affect the life of a metal shed but they do get hot inside! Fla's humidity might make a metal shed rust sooner than drier climates.

Old 05-08-16, 01:15 PM
Thanks guys,

Chandler - what is a "pt" framed base. Pressure treated? The one I am close to considering has the galvanized framed flooring. It is from a local dealer who supplies the sheds for big box. Maybe I should ask him if the pressure treated floor is an option.
Marksr - the one I am looking also has a barrier on the ceiling and walls. Will that make a difference in the Florida sun? Fortunately it will be in the shade most of the time.

As always, thanks for your input.

Mary

Old 05-08-16, 01:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Most of us refer to pressure treated lumber as PT lumber

I've not seen the metal sheds with an interior barrier - I assume some sort of insulation ?

Old 05-08-16, 02:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Mary, if you were able to get a copy of the installation instructions, there will be an option of "stick" building a base as opposed to buying a metal optional base. I'd check it out as I really don't like the flimsiness of the metal.

Old 05-09-16, 02:46 AM
Here's the description of floor
- Galvanized steel floor joists
- Treated LP ProStruct Floor with Smart Finish

and here's the info given on the radiant barrier siding
- LP SilverTech radiant barrier siding and roof decking

I'm sure site prep is going to be another whole ballgame. I'll need to take down my clothesline. Hopefully I can hook the two lines to the side of the shed. As far as ground prep I need to find out how much/if any of it they do.

Thanks again for tickling my brain with things I need to think about.