Finishing shed ramp

Old 05-25-16, 10:03 AM
Finishing shed ramp

Shed is up. Ramp built and installed. Pressure treated wood. Want to paint ramp same color as shed. What kind of paint do I use for pressure treated wood that's going to be walked on?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-16, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
I usually glued roll roofing to them so you had traction.

Old 05-25-16, 01:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You'll probably need to wait awhile for the wood to dry out before you apply any coating. I'd either use a solid deck stain tinted to the same color as the shed or a semi-transparent stain to compliment it.

Old 05-26-16, 09:04 AM
I like the idea of traction but not necessarily the roofing thing. I'm afraid that would be too many different colors out there and the shed matches so well with the color of the house. (It just worked out that way) Didn't know I could get a solid deck stain. What about staining and then tossing a little sand on it while it's still wet to get some traction that way?

Old 05-26-16, 09:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sand added to paint is always short lived, it wears off quickest where you need it [traffic area] I don't know if sand would adhere well to stain [never tried it] I'd suggest getting some traction strips and putting them where you need them. Several yrs ago I built a wheelchair ramp and add the strips for them. Last I heard it was still doing ok although some of the strips had peeled off.

Old 05-26-16, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
Sand is the traditional way but there are additives too. I haven't used but there is for example: Shop Rust-Oleum Marine Coatings Clear Flat Enamel Oil-Based Marine Paint (Actual Net Contents: 4-fl oz) at Lowes.com

Old 05-26-16, 09:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've always used the 'sand' additive sold in packets at the paint store and not regular mason sand.
Oil base paints don't usually hold up well on new PT wood. Generally PT has to weather for a few years before oil base paint will stay adhered long term.

Old 05-27-16, 05:16 PM
So Solid deck stain would be better than oil based paint. And it would be a good idea to use the anti-slip additive. Sounds like a plan.

We've had pretty low humidity lately for here in Florida. How long should it take for the pressure treated wood to dry out enough to apply the deck stain?
Thanks so much all of you.

Old 05-28-16, 03:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A lot depends on how wet the PT wood was when it was installed. It generally takes between 6 weeks and 6 months for the wood to dry out sufficiently. While a moisture meter tells best, you can eyeball it. When the wood is dry it will loose some of it's color and the gaps between the boards will be wider. How much sun/wind the wood gets is another determining factor on how long it takes.

IMO the traction strips are better than the sand additive.
This what I've used - Shop SKID GUARD Reflective Mineral Abrasive Anti-Slip Tape at Lowes.com

Old 05-28-16, 04:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm afraid that would be too many different colors
Mary, sort of like the color of the tires on your car?????? You will need to either put some sort of traction material on the PT or mix some traction grit in your paint/stain or you will be slipping and sliding into and out of your shed. Just be careful and don't worry about what others think of your color scheme.