16'x24' shed/work shop base/footings

Old 09-12-16, 08:22 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
16'x24' shed/work shop base/footings

Planning on building a 16x24 shed/work shop. It will sit on 3 24' 4x6 beams. Due to the slope of my backyard there is a 5" difference from the highest point to the lowest. I think it will be easiest to pour round footings to sit the beams on, but I'm not sure how many footins to use. It will be 2x6 floor joist attached to the 4x6's and 3/4 T/G flooring. I plan to keep my zero turner mower and ATV in it plus other normal yard equipment. The other half of the shed will be a wood working shop with jointer,table saw, sanders, drill press, etc. So it will have some weight in it. Is 4 12" circle footings per beam enough?

Thanks

Old 09-13-16, 05:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
First check with your local building and zoning codes. A shed of that size may require zoning approval and building permits. If so the building codes may specify a minimum for the footings/foundation. Often sheds are built on "skids" and are considered temporary since they can theoretically be moved. Installing footings in the ground for your "temporary" shed could kick it into the permanent structure category and put the building and zoning codes into affect.

Old 09-13-16, 02:12 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pilot Dane,

Thanks for the response. I am aware of the local building and zoning codes. I agree a shed on skids due to its "temporary" nature is easier to deal with. But due to the uneven ground I was unsure of how to utilize the skids. Do you have any recommendations on that?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: