Convert 3 season room to 4 season?

Old 12-18-16, 11:52 AM
Convert 3 season room to 4 season?

Hi.

I have a small maybe 10x10 3 season room next to the back porch that comes off the kitchen from a sliding door. Underneath the room is a storage area and there's no "drywall", but rather paneling, I'm assuming it's over maybe plywood? Not sure. No heat source also of course.

What would it take to make this a 4 season room? Would then, or should I remove the sliding door if it were made into a 4 season room with heat?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-16, 12:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is the storage area sealed from the elements? Do you have insulation between the floor joists? If so, is the insulation covered with 3/8" plywood? You will need to make a plan for heating/cooling the room. Removing the slider is one way to incorporate it into the mix, but it really should have its own ductwork. Maybe posting a picture would help us see what you have. We need to know the type windows, wall insulation, ceiling insulation, roof composition, etc. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 12-21-16, 12:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Also consider a slide in air condition / heat pump. I use a GE unit when we want to heat our 12 X 20 three season room. Works well but does spin the electric meter faster than normal.

Old 12-21-16, 01:29 PM
Group Moderator
We can wait for pictures but since you are in Maine, I bet that room will always be cold in the winter unless you put a big pot belly stove in there. 3 season rooms are generally not built with the idea that they will be heated and used during winter months.

In the meantime, more info about the construction of the room would help. We cant see it. Over a basement or crawl space? Size of rafters? Wall studs? Floor joists? Plan on removing the patio door or whole wall?

Old 12-21-16, 04:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Brant, I picture Maine to be like Chicago. Two seasons.......Winter and the 4th of July.

Old 12-21-16, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
I picture Maine to be 2 seasons too. Lobster season, and NOT lobster season.

Top of my all time bucket list is to go to Acadia Nat'l park... and find someplace nearby where I can get all you can eat maine lobster... or at least someplace that will keep a running tab.

Sorry, I must be the hijack king of this forum. Its the main reason I can't be a moderator... such a bad example. LOL