Wet shed!

Old 01-25-18, 11:53 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wet shed!

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with some issues I'm having with a new shed I built.

It's only been up for approx 2 months, but the inside is already feeling slightly wet and the roof is even wetter.

I didn't install a base to build the shed on as it was going on concrete slabs on our patio, so assumed that this would be sufficient. Could this be where water is getting in? I've noticed mould appearing recently as well which is another issue.

Is there anything that I can do to mouldproof the shed without having to install a base?

The roof felt I used was standard that came with the shed, would it be better to replace it with better quality?

Many thanks for any help or advice you can give, I don't want a new shed wasted so soon!

Andy

Gary Alford voted this post useful.
Old 01-26-18, 02:38 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.
I assume the shed is currently sitting in that slab. Issues can be moisture following that slab surface right into the shed or even moisture coming up from the ground below. Not sure what the shed is being used for but ventilation is probably what you need. Without a way to get rid of the moisture it will accumulate until sufficient to grow strange stuff.

Are you bringing in any moisture with your use, like dirt or plants?

Bud

Old 01-26-18, 02:42 AM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
It would be helpful if you added some information on materials and a photo to give an indication of style. Also, where it's located and where you live. It's possible moisture is getting in via the concrete slab, particularly if the concrete was recently poured and is still drying.

I suspect, however the issue is insufficient ventilation.

Old 01-26-18, 04:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Where are you located? What do you mean by "feeling slightly wet". Where is the moisture? Does it just feel damp or is there visible water? Do you have puddles of water on the floor?

Weather can have a big affect on what happens inside your shed. Since it's not heated and air conditioned like your home it's very suseptible to the weather.

Old 01-26-18, 05:06 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I agree 100% with the possible venting issues.
How close is that slab to grade?
If you built this on top of the slab and the slab extends out beyond the base of the walls and you did not build a stem wall of block first, water can also be getting in under the walls.
The walls should have been at least 6" above the slab or there's also going to be issues with the walls at some point from splash back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: