Insulate a shed for sound

Old 02-19-19, 05:54 PM
Question Insulate a shed for sound

I have just had a 8x12 shed built to facilitate a small woodshop. Outside wall are T1-11 siding. I am finishing the inside with 1/2 inch OSB. I have already put 1 inch R-MAX insulation in the 2x4 24" OC walls.I am wondering if stuffing the rest of the cavity with 3 1/2 " pink insulation will help with the sound deadening. Thermal insulation is not a requirement where I live. I just don't want to disturb the neighbors while running a table saw, cutoff saw or router.
t

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-19, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
I would imagine that adding another 1 or 2" of foam would have better sound deadening qualities than fiberglass. If you can create a dead space between them that would probably help a little bit as well.

Is the floor and ceiling insulated as well?

Old 02-23-19, 04:52 AM
3 1/2" of fiberglass does almost nothing for sound, you need to get up to 6" before any benefit is gained.

There are other material that work better, Rockwool and Ultra Touch, but with two layers of material and some insulation your probably good. You'll gain more just by keeping the doors/window shut!

Old 02-23-19, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
I find the most annoying noise to be the high frequency/pitch whine from routers and table saws. Sealing up openings will help a lot to contain those higher frequency sound. A good sealing door and making sure you don't see daylight through joints in your walls & roof will give you a lot of sound blocking for the labor/money.

Old 02-25-19, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The floors are not insulated (and no easy way to do so), but the ceiling will have 6 inches of rockwool. The door is an issue as it is a snug fitting sliding door but no insulation. As far as wall joints being tight, tight... very tight.
I agree the issues are mostly routers and tablesaw. The tablesaw is a fold up, roll around and will be used mostly outside. Not much cutting can be done in an 8x12 shed. What I mostly worry about is the router. I have a small CNC router with a 690 Porter cable that makes a lot of noise. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you all know how t turns out. t