Securing planters to my balconies

Old 04-19-19, 03:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Securing planters to my balconies

Hi doityourself.com,

Thanks for accepting my request for Registration.

’Greenhouses, Sheds, and Sun Rooms’ seemed like the best place to post a Thread about apartment balconies (because the other ‘gardening’ thread was more plant oriented. This post is about putting up Railing Pots securely).

So I bought two Balcony Planters that are also called ‘Railing Pots’ or something like that. (Railing Planters).

I’m worried that they may fall backwards onto my balcony after I’ve filled them with soil, because they didn’t come with some kind of strap to secure them to the railing. The railing is curved. They CAN sit upright on the railing, however they do look precarious and they could fall inward and cause a disaster.

How can I secure these things to the railing?

How could I use some kind of strap properly? What kind of strap?

Or rope?

Like make a hole in the pot to attach the rope?

Please help.

Attached Images     
Old 04-19-19, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Welcome!

If possible, you might see if you could make or buy some sort planter box of about the same size to sit on the ground so that it could provide the ballast needed to secure the railing pot. Extend some wooden legs up to the boxes on the railing so you can fasten them together. You would need to fasten something through the bottom or side of the railing pot. It could be like a short trellis... lattice... something that plants could vine on... rectangular or V shaped or ???

​​​​

Old 04-19-19, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

By design..... those planters are going to rock on that balcony handrail. In my opinion..... you need to add fill between the bottom of the planter that will contact the balcony. It looks like a 2x4 on each side may do it. You could glue the wood directly to the planter.

Name:  pot.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  21.2 KB

Old 04-20-19, 04:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Check your HOA requirements. Some do not allow railing mounted planter boxes or if they do allow them they must be fastened or secured to prevent them from falling and injuring people below.

Old 04-23-19, 04:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Securing Planters To My Balconies

Hey Dudes,

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I only got an email notification yesterday that there were replies.

Thanks for your input.

I think I might simply return the planters to Lowes and try and find ones that actually have some type of component that fastens. I’ve already spoken with Property Management and they’re fine with planters in general.

It’s nice to get some ideas on how to fix this myself, and that’s why I posted to this site. I might take the challenge and follow your directions!

Cheers!

Mr. Willikins.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: