Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Greenhouses, Sheds and Sun Rooms
Reload this Page >

Building a lean-to shed...is securing to the skid necessary?

Old 07-22-19, 09:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello all.

I am a new home owner who is just learning to "do-it-myself".
So far I've done random repairs, including rebuilding the crawl space entry/ door.

We have a small house so I recently began building a 5x12 foot lean-to shed. I purchased plans online, which called for 4x6x12 skids to which the floor frame/ shed would be toenailed and secured to.
The plan looked good, until I realized how large and heavy 4x6x12 skids would be (I already purchased, and had the wood delivered). Now here's the problem, I am building this on a roughly 6 ft CONCRETE driveway wedged between a fence and the house. I would like the ability to move the shed in case we need to redo the fence or siding of the house. With the 4x6 skids, a lot of weight will be added to the shed.

So I have TWO questions for you experts:

1) The plans recommend toenailing to the skid. Would it be possible for me to, instead, secure the shed to the skids from the OUTSIDE via plates and screws (skid to the rim joist). My thinking here is that if I need to move the shed, I can undo the plates securing the skid the the joists and lift the shed off of the joists so that it's lighter to move. In case of earthquake (I live in California) I'm hoping the would suffice to keep the shed in place.

2) Question 2: If I were to secure the shed onto the skids...
The plans call for the lay the 4x6 skids in a tall orientation (in other words, the 4 inch side touching the ground and the shed, with the skid standing 6 inches high). In order to lower the height of the shed I did the opposite and placed the 6 inch side on the ground and facing the shed (so standing 4 inches high). If I decided to secure the shed onto the skids and were to secure the shed onto the skids in this configuration, would there be any potential problems?

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Best regards,

Anthony

[img]

Last edited by tonythetigerx2; 07-22-19 at 10:02 PM. Reason: adding photos
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-19, 02:25 AM
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
I can undo the plates securing the skid the the joists and lift the shed off of the joists
That isnt going to work!

The weight of the shed will far exceed the weight of the skid so trying to seperate to save weight isnt going to help much.

Plus how in the world would you attempt to move a complete shed in the first place with or without the skid?

You basically have to figure that once build it's not going anywhere!

BTW, it's always recommended that any shed under any condition be secured to the ground!

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 07-23-19, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 96 Votes on 89 Posts
I'd secure the floor framing to the skids. As noted above it's not easy to move a shed but it would be easier to drag it to a new location on the skids than it would be to somehow pick it up to move it. The higher the siding is off of the ground the less likely it is to be damaged by moisture.

Old 07-23-19, 05:56 AM
once build it's not going anywhere!
it's always recommended that any shed under any condition be secured to the ground!
So just curious what would happen to a shed of this design during an earthquake?

Old 07-23-19, 06:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.
Looks like I will be securing the shed to the skids!
Now second question, is there any reason I should NOT place the skids with the 6 inch side facing the ground?

Thanks!

Old 07-23-19, 06:51 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
probably less resistance to move it with the 4 inch side down, but it will be very hard to move due to its weight so not sure how important that is for you if you did ever try dragging it on the skids you would probably want the 4 inch side down.

Old 07-23-19, 06:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 96 Votes on 89 Posts
The only issues is that puts the shed closer to the ground. Water that gets under the shed will take longer to dry up and the closer the siding is to the ground the more apt it is to rot.

Old 07-23-19, 08:24 AM
the closer the siding is to the ground the more apt it is to rot.
4 or 6" off the ground wont make an difference, as long as the siding is not in the water your good!