Roots Visible for Shed Foundation

Old 10-06-20, 02:58 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roots Visible for Shed Foundation

I'm afraid I know the answer here, but I have a spot in my yard where I want to put a plastic 7x7 shed on a patio paver foundation. There are some roots visible in the ground from a nearby Silver Maple tree, and I'm curious if there's any way to trim the roots, or build up the area/level with sand before I put my pavers down for a foundation, or if this is just a terrible idea. It's the ideal spot....except for the roots, of course.

Would I be better off doing a deck-block and wooden foundation instead of the pavers?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-20, 04:11 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 688 Votes on 635 Posts
It's not a great place. You already know large roots are at the surface. You can remove the roots and install your pavers but the roots will likely grow back.

Old 10-06-20, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
I agree, no matter what you do, those roots are just going to heave your pavers over time.

Old 10-06-20, 04:23 PM
Received 397 Votes on 371 Posts
If you were putting in a slab, or footers for something large I would say move it. A plastic shed is light and if you had to move it I suspect it would just slide. Don't get to carried away with the foundation.

Old 10-07-20, 09:00 AM
H
Thanks, I kind of figured. If I can find the right spacing to put deck blocks down without getting near the exposed roots, and then elevate the foundation like in the picture below, is this recommended? Given the size, it would likely only be 9 deck blocks, but would allow the roots to continue to grow under the foundation.

Old 10-07-20, 09:03 AM
Received 397 Votes on 371 Posts
Maybe I over simplified, when you mentioned "plastic shed" I was thinking one of those Rubbermaid sheds, does your shed require something that substantial?

Old 10-07-20, 11:27 AM
H
No, that's exactly what it is. A 7x7 Rubbermaid shed that comes with a floor, but I was under the impression that I should put a foundation down too, either with pavers or with deck blocks and timber/plywood.

Old 11-02-20, 11:37 AM
A
Received 91 Votes on 84 Posts
Dig a trench around the perimeter of the shed about 18 inches away from the shed footprint and about 6 inches deep. Any root you run into you slice out a cross section about an inch thick at the trench. At that spot dig a little deeper so the cross section comes out of the entire root and not just a notch in the part witin 6 inches of the surface. The sliced off portion of the root within the enclosed perimeter and under the shed footprint stays in place.

You do not want the roots to grow or regrow under the shed.