Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Greenhouses, Sheds and Sun Rooms
Reload this Page >

Shed foundation over a previous child's sandbox

Old 10-18-21, 02:12 PM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post

Folks:

Helping my neighbor, who is a widow, put in a shed in her backyard. I have city ordnance requirements all taken care of and the shed is going to be a pre-fab shed assembled on-site. However, I agreed to help her prepare the ground for the shed. She currently has sand there for her kids sandbox. Kids have grown up and its not longer in use. Is there any reason for concern if there is 1 inch of sand, then 3 inches of grave? Meaning if the base is sand then the next layer is gravel? I plan on doing at least 3 inches of gravel for the shed to sit on.

Old 10-18-21, 03:32 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,198 Upvotes on 1,153 Posts
Sand does not compact and therefore has no place in a foundation.

Old 10-19-21, 02:05 AM
Received 1,142 Upvotes on 1,035 Posts
1 inch of sand
Nothing to worry about.

Not sure what type of shed but anything sitting on the ground, especially if wood, will have some moisture issues. Always best to have a slab or get some ventilation under the floor!

Old 10-19-21, 06:33 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Marq1: The vendor recommends 3 inches of level 3/4" gravel for their shed to sit on. The base of it appears to be 4x6 treated slats that the floor board sits on. So if those 4x6 slats on are gravel, water shouldn't be an issue. We live in Utah, so rather dry climate. Treated wood does fine outside--especially when sitting on gravel.

I'll end up removing most of the sand in the end so we have a level surface to work with. Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: