Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Greenhouses, Sheds and Sun Rooms
Reload this Page >

Do I need to secure 8x8 shed to concrete blocks?

Old 03-21-23, 01:45 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 2 Posts

Hey all,

Planning to build an 8x8 chicken coop in the back yard. Was hoping to set the foundation flat on the ground but there is too much slope, so I plan to install concrete blocks on the 4 corners and set the floor joists on that. However, I got to thinking about a stiff breeze blowing the thing off the blocks, or if it will be heavy enough to stay put. Is that a concern (sorry if that is a dumb question)? If it needs to be secured to the ground, how best do I do that if I am using concrete blocks?

Old 03-21-23, 01:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
There is no point anchoring to blocks. Buildings are anchored to footings or walls and piers that are tied to the footings. You have no footing to anchor to.

Old 03-22-23, 03:07 AM
T
Received 108 Upvotes on 96 Posts
I agree with XSleeper. You can't expect the coop to be stable by anchoring to 4 concrete blocks without also anchoring the blocks. There are several easy ways to do it yourself using concrete mix and your blocks.

BTW, the OP seems to suggest he's just setting the shed on blocks. Not physically attaching the shed to the blocks is a non-starter.

Last edited by Tony P.; 03-22-23 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-22-23, 03:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I'd anchor it to the blocks but as noted above the blocks need to be anchored to the ground first.

Old 03-22-23, 05:20 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I'm not sure what we mean by anchoring to the blocks.
But when I built my 2nd shed back in 2000, I sank 6 concrete blocks into the ground, and laid 4 x 4's across the blocks that sat about 6" above ground level (those "sleeper" are not physically attached to the blocks). I then built my shed (8 x 10) on these " sleepers", then laid my treated plywood floor inside the wall perimeters and screwed the floor to the "sleepers". This shed has not moved a millimeter and has gone through some very stiff winds and snowstorms. As solid as the day it was built. Albeit the shed does have a heavy weight (lawnmower in winter and snow thrower in summer) to keep in in place. Maybe a chicken coop won't be heavy enough to keep it grounded. Just say'n.

Old 03-22-23, 05:46 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
They make those big screws that go into the group to anchor "things", not sure if they provide a lot of benefit but better than nothing if there is concern.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: