heating a greenhouse

Old 01-08-02, 07:54 AM
Visiting Guest
heating a greenhouse

I have built a 12 x 14 greenhouse, using pvc and 6 ml. plastic covering. Living in Zone 5, I need heat to keep it warm in our winters. Does anyone know of "propane gas" heating for this size of a greenhouse. I don't want to go through the expense of solar heating. If there is such a thing as propane gas heat for this size greenhouse, what is the approximate cost of heating it continuously for five months (Dec. through April)? Also, do I need venting? Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-02, 04:21 AM
Visiting Guest
greenhouse heating

I bought an old house with a standalone greenhouse (wood frame with plastic sheeting all around) and although I have not used it, there is a small heater at the far end with two small refillable propane cylinders that it attaches to- (the tanks are outside- the heater is inside) If you want to know if it can be done I would say yes- I don't know anything more about it than that (BTW, I'm in Vermont where it can be cold 6-7 months of the year warranting the use of a heater)

Old 01-25-02, 04:31 AM
Trent Bridley
Visiting Guest
Hi,
How about looking a a message I just posted to GAPJ1 just above this. It is just about the same type of question.

Old 01-25-02, 04:36 AM
Trent Bridley
Visiting Guest
Hi,
How about looking a a message I just posted to GAPJ1 just above this. It is just about the same type of question.

Old 01-25-02, 05:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up greenhouse heating

Originally posted by Trent Bridley
Hi,
Hey Trent - thanks for the reply. I'll look into it.

Old 01-26-02, 12:31 PM
Trent Bridley
Visiting Guest
greenhouse heat

Hi joanie,
Again I'm going to ask you to please look in on my second reply to gapj1. If you are new to a greenhouse you should read the reply.
again good luck

Old 01-27-02, 07:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Re: greenhouse heat

Originally posted by Trent Bridley
Hi joanie,
Again I'm going to ask you to please look in on my second reply to gapj1. If you are new to a greenhouse you should read the reply.
again good luck
Thanks Trent -- I read it and acknowledge your input.
Presently I work in a five-house greenhouse that was built by the
owners over a period of ten years, and they started the same way I am, however they heat by a water boiler system, and I don't have the wearwithall to heat that way. That's why the gas/propane system may work the best for me. I am aware of the heat factor in all seasons.

Enjoyed yakking at ya! Joanie.

Old 01-27-02, 08:15 AM
Trent Bridley
Visiting Guest
heating

Hi again,
Look up some heating contractors and ask them for what they think would suit your needs. Gas furnaces or space heaters are now in the 90s for fuel efficiency. I don't have any idea of the cost of them, but they would last a long time without much maintenance.