Enclosing existing porch

Old 04-08-02, 03:24 PM
canneberra
Visiting Guest
Enclosing existing porch

Hi,

I'm considering enclosing my existing porch. It's a cement deck with a covered and tarred roof. It seems that this could be as simple as framing out the existing roof and posts and then glazing in some tempered glass. But it just can't be that simple!

What am I naively overlooking?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-02, 08:33 PM
It's a bit more involved than that to do it up to code.

If you will be keeping it as "non-conditioned space", the longest wall and one adjacent wall have to be 65% open. That means you would have to be able to remove the panes of tempered glass in those 2 walls, leaving just the window screens in place. With all of the glass removed, measure the total area of the wall to a height of 80". Now measure the openings for the windows. Is the window opening 65% or more of the total area of the wall? If so, you are fine.

Or, are you thinking about converting it to living space? In that case, you are looking at insulating, adding electrical, heating and air as necessary, and having openable windows to meet light and ventalation minimums.

Old 04-09-02, 02:58 PM
canneberra
Visiting Guest
Lefty,

Thank you very much for the information.

Regarding the 65% open requirement. Does this mean that if I enclosed the entire area with swing open windows or doors (I live in San Diego and the ability to open the enclosure entirely appeals to me) I would have met code requirements regarding keeping the area as 'outdoor space'?

Thanks,

Old 04-09-02, 06:19 PM
Casement ("swing open") windows would probably work, as long as there is no stationary (non-openable) pane involved. A casement window that has just one pane, or one that has two panes, and BOTH are operable, should work. You have 2 choices. Check with your local bldg. dept. and get their opinion, or just do it.