High Power LED

Old 05-05-09, 03:01 PM
High Power LED

Has anyone tried the latest generation of high power LED GU10 bulbs. Are the as good as the manufactures claim? How similar is the light to a hallogen bulb?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-09, 07:03 PM
It's not so powerfull, I haven't seen equivalent to 50W or 35W GU10 in the hardware stores. Suspect, they are existing in Internet. What I've seen, may be equal (by light output) to 10W taking 3 watts only, or, I gues 7W is close to 20W. They too expensive though, Philips priced them in Home Depot at 28 dollars a piece.

Old 08-21-09, 08:55 PM
LED lights are better than halogen for sure. Certainly not as hot and more energy efficient.

Old 08-24-09, 12:20 PM
I have't seen them as bright as halogen. And the light still is a bit too blueish for my taste.
But they're certainly energy efficient.

Old 08-26-09, 09:51 AM
high power LED

led bulbs are now in sam's club I think at a lower price than homedepot. but not for lamps with a shade yet. I bought a spotlight which does an ok job can't wait for this technology to grow.

Old 08-27-09, 04:25 AM
LED lights are far better than halogen, i haven't used halogen lights. But as far as my research is considered LED lights are better energy efficient sources.

Old 09-04-09, 11:19 AM
But seriously, what is intention for use particularly GU10 - just replace pot lights in ceiling or use them as an accent to lit up the picture or wall? I guess, the purpose should determine the desired light output that would be required, and type of connector is not the show stopper here. If you don't need the highly illuminated spot in hundreds of lumens, any LED replacement should work for you and you can consider other factors like price, etc. I had replaced my outdoor security flood lights with cheap DIY LEDs], it cost me around $10 total, but this is only because I don't need very bright place. Otherwise, I would may be consider other more expensive options.
BTW, Costco was selling promotional 3-pack of high output LEDs with batteries ($9.95 CAD), they can be easily modified for any application.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 09-11-09 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Removed link. Blogs not allowed.
Old 09-11-09, 04:38 PM
I found GU10 CFLs in Lowe's, day ago, it's looks like this is so far optimal solution in terms price/light-output/energy.
9 and 11 watts, (35w and 50w replacement, respectfully) $8.95 Canadian each. Good for ceiling but not to use with dimmers, though.