magnet powered generator

Old 09-21-09, 07:56 PM
magnet powered generator

i have been reading up on building a magnet powered generator, meaning a set of magnets pushing against one another to power like a dc motor or something hooked to a battery with a charge controller or something along those lines, and was wondering if anyone could help me with some plans or something. it would be pretty straight forward i think if i just knew where to get started.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-09, 11:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Kind of vague description. Generators do have magnets in them. I don't think that permanent magnets would do anything because once the positive saw the negative, that's as far as it will go. I do recall a kid science project using magnets, paper clips, and some wire to make a toy generator for a science project, but nothing practical.

Old 09-22-09, 12:17 PM
Group Moderator
Only perpetual motion machines produce power. All other devices including generators and nuclear bombs simply convert one kind of power to another with some unavoidable loss.

Old 09-22-09, 12:31 PM
Hi krisman, the place to start is to build yourself an electric motor. Just google "building an electric motor" for all kinds of hits. Once finished you will have a battery supplying power to a motor which turns. Then think about the reverse, turning the motor by hand, which generates electricity to charge the battery, assuming you have the right kind of battery. But the ideas is, energy can be converted to motion, or motion can be converted to energy, either way works. Once you go through this process, you will better understand your original question.

enjoy
Bud

Old 09-23-09, 01:38 PM
i have no idea if i am smart enough to build an electric motor or not. what i was looking for is something like this, YouTube - Free Energy Power Generator Donald Duck magnetic electric overunity magnet motor replication06/06/09, but i need help getting all the parts right

Old 09-23-09, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Ok...first of all anything starting with "free energy" is BS. I don't think anyone has been able to tap into the magnetic fields of the earth to produce any usable output.

Its a wonderful idea, but just not viable w/o room temperature superconductors and frictionless bearings....and those are a ways off still I think.

Old 09-23-09, 02:50 PM
Group Moderator
That video should have really been posted over in the gardening forum. It contained enough BS to fertilize a whole field of clover.

The poster talks about converting is 2 phase power to three phase. Two phase power has not been used since the early 20th century. What he actually seems to be using is single phase. BS or ignorance. Who knows.

Why a 3 phase motor? Converting his alleged 2 phase power to 3 phase will inevitably cause loses. Why not use a 2 phase motor, yes they are possible, just no where to plug them in from power company. The smell of BS is rising.

Why not drive the alternator with a direct gear drive or chain. The crude magnetic linkage would slip under load adding yet another power loss. Notice he is careful to only measure the motor RPM not the alternator. Sure smells like that bull had bean burritos for lunch.

Bat cap? Looks real but sounds like something from the bat cave. I give this as a possible real device. May be supplying power to the inverter.

He says a 100 watt light bulb on the output but his meter says he is consuming 232 watts. So how does a 100 watt light bulb consume 252 watts? Heck he can't even get his story straight. Slowly climbing up the BS meter.

This had to be intended as a joke. Any reading could have been manipulated. For instance you can only compare watts to watts at the same voltage but at one point he is talking about 11.3 volts yet the input and final output is probably 120v.

Old 09-23-09, 07:27 PM
i guess its back to the old drawing board. i was really looking for something that i could use inside of my house. i already have a solar generator set up but i just hate running all those wires through the window to use it indoors.