SEARS making portable solar generator?

Old 04-09-10, 01:56 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
SEARS making portable solar generator?

This is way cool!

I was on a job-site today working at the water treatment plant in Vero Beach Florida. This crew comes on the job with a solar powered generator, and they're running all types of things. Sawzalls, hammer drills, light, radio, battery chargers, you name it, this thing handled it all.

It had the DIEHARD decal on the side, so I figure it's from SEARS. Thing is, I can't seem to find out anything about it. It's not on their website yet anyways. I took a picture with my phone. Does anyone know anything about this? Like the specs, or how much is it, or where I can get one?

Thanks
Billy Downey

Last edited by Shadeladie; 04-09-10 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Email not allowed on forum
Old 04-09-10, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Well.....theres no way in Heck that will run any power tool. Maybe a radio or a battery charger...but nutin else. Notice any cords running from it? How about a battery for storage?

Oh...and that sure doesn't look like any commercial site I've ever been to.

Nice try..but I don't think anyone will bite...

Old 04-09-10, 02:39 PM
B
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
Well.....theres no way in Heck that will run any power tool. Maybe a radio or a battery charger...but nutin else. Notice any cords running from it? How about a battery for storage?

Oh...and that sure doesn't look like any commercial site I've ever been to.

Nice try..but I don't think anyone will bite...

I have more pics... it has a full size 12 volt AGM battery inside look behind the sticker.... the plumbers were running a BOSCH hammer drill with this thing

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs518...._4918656_n.jpg

Old 04-09-10, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
Ok...I get ya now....but it's not the panel running the tool...its the battery running through an inverter/converter. They may have run something for a while..but no way it can compete with a gennie for a full days use. Maybe useful for a remote location (cabin, hunt camp, etc) running low draw electronics in the afternoon/evening....but not a heck of a lot else. Will require constant repositioning, and the panel as installed is very susceptible to damage it appears. Looks like a prototype of some sort. Hope whoever made it has good luck.

Why didn't you ask the crew that brought it?

Still doesn't look like a industrial setting. And why wouldn't they use power available on site?

Old 04-09-10, 02:56 PM
B
I asked the guys about it, but it was their boss that got it. They didn't seem to know anything more than how to turn the switch on ( the inverter I assume )

I'm trying to get the information on it now.... I've seen smaller similar ones , but not with the same xxx that this one had.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

Last edited by pmgca; 04-09-10 at 03:15 PM. Reason: word edited
Old 04-09-10, 03:05 PM
Hi billydowney

I know the product, it is called
Heavy Duty Portable Solar Generator system
Is a very interesting option

The one I saw had a Mitsubishi Panel, but if you google the name above, you will find several brands / stores

Old 04-09-10, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
WOOHOO $3000-4500 or so? Well how much is green worth? Of course the batteries and panel are made with toxic materials....so I'm not sure how "green" that really is?

Boy..you could buy 1 generator that would last for years and years for that kinda money.

Thanks for posting the info pmgca.

Old 04-09-10, 03:23 PM
All the solar panels have batteries, but still solar power is an excellent green option, and it is a renewable resource .
Did you analize the impact in the environment (short and long run) of the non-green energy options?

Old 04-09-10, 03:33 PM
B
WOW $4K -- that is pretty steep for a 1200W generator, but I see your point about going green.

The one on the job had a 2500W / 5000W surge inverter, not sure what brand. in addition to being green, we were thinking about all the scenarios where a gas generator isn't practical, and this would fit the bill. Down here with the whole retirement community and 55plus stuff, there is strict guidelines for when and where you can run a generator when working in a community. This thing made absolutely no noise which is pretty cool.

Old 04-09-10, 03:46 PM
I am under the impression that you will find lower prices at the stores selling RV equipment .
Anyway, alternative energy systems always require an initial investment, but you will save a lot of money at the end, because the sun / wind energy are free

If you have additional info or if you buy the system, please, share the images and info with us, so we can learn more from your experience

Old 04-09-10, 04:05 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If this old codger may offer an opinion. BS. What happens if it is raining but the work is inside. Just run the battery down and quit the job till it stops raining.What about winter with shorter days? What happens after the power tools get ahead of the charging? Take a four hour break while it charges? Nice toy if your rich but I'm not and I need to work not play. Give me a genny and let me earn some money instead of flushing it down the drain. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-09-10 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-09-10, 05:23 PM
B
Originally Posted by ray2047
If this old codger may offer an opinion. BS. What happens if it is raining but the work is inside. Just run the battery down and quit the job till it stops raining.What about winter with shorter days. What happens after the power tools get ahead of the charging? Take a four hour brake while it charges? Nice toy if your rich but I'm not and I need to work not play. Give me a genny and let me earn some money instead of flushing it down the drain. But that's just my opinion.
You raise a lot of good concerns... I guess it would depend on your consumption vs. recoup time, and what your using it for. It's definitely not for everyone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: