Wind Generator - Batteries, Inverters, and Regulators

Old 07-24-10, 07:43 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wind Generator - Batteries, Inverters, and Regulators

I am attempting to build my own wind generator. I have 2 old generators that the carburetors on the engines gave up. I have the instructions to build the vanes and such, but I need info on inverters and can I use marine batteries for storage. Also, where can I find info on regulators that will limit the amount of charge my generators push into the batteries? Any other info on a wind system will be helpful.
Ben

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-10, 09:54 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Two old generators? Are these from generators used to provide emergency power or are they from an auto or truck. If so, are they 6 volt or 12 volt; generators or alternators? An auto regulator will control the current into the battery bank. Inverters come in all sizes and you need to calculate the available output of the batteries as well as what you want to power, to come up with a size.

Old 07-26-10, 06:03 AM
M
If you trying what I think your trying try again. No way will the turbine rotate fast enough. Output would be AC. Fix the carburetors and start from scratch with a blank sheet.

Old 07-27-10, 10:05 AM
B
In addition

Originally Posted by benm3rd View Post
I am attempting to build my own wind generator. I have 2 old generators that the carburetors on the engines gave up. I have the instructions to build the vanes and such, but I need info on inverters and can I use marine batteries for storage. Also, where can I find info on regulators that will limit the amount of charge my generators push into the batteries? Any other info on a wind system will be helpful.
Ben
The generators are full 120/220 generating genators. Could I set up a gear ratio to generate rpms.

Old 07-27-10, 11:22 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi ben, here is a dot gov site that may be useful and another to fill in the gaps. The process starts with determining your available wind energy and the size unit you would need to meet your objectives. Unfortunately, the few times I have helped people through this process, the results are not what they wanted to hear. My state just doesn't have the available energy.

I wish you luck,
Wind Powering America: Small Wind for Homeowners, Ranchers, and Small Businesses
Wind Power Generators -- Windmills

Bud

Old 08-21-10, 03:12 PM
dont use marine there expenive and the amp/hr for them suck. marine batterys are used for short burst of energy thats why they are rated in cca cold cranking amps most of the batterys dont go over 100 amp/hr. look into 6v golf cart battery you can look for them online interstate u2200 give you 220 amp/hr to get 12v use series and parallel wiring. power inverter can be bought at ebay depending what u want to do with your system depends on the 110v or a 220v or if you use them to stack to run your 220v items washer frig thos kind of things and your generator for the wind turbine they can work as long as its not over 3000rpm anything over that and youll have to make a pully system to make em work let me know if i missed a question

Old 08-21-10, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 94 Posts
To likelike, we're not texting in here. Your posts are making me dizzy and are practically unreadable. Please use punctuations, so your sentences don't run together as one and use spell check, too.
Thank you!