Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to size a solar panel system for my home, appropriately

FL

08-04-10, 09:47 AM   #1  
How to size a solar panel system for my home, appropriately

Hi guys! Another member from the state of Florida here

I have been looking into solar power for a couple years now, and it popped into my head again this morning. I have been trying to research it online but as I dont know much about it, I am having some problems.

What size system would I need to support my house? I looked at my last bill showed me using 1800 kwh for the month, just under 70 kwh per day. I figure a system capable of putting out 2000 kwh total per month would cover me from even the hottest of days (I am waiting for the next bill, as we have had index temps MANY times this month of 110*).

I am looking at doing a grid tied system that can support at least 70 kwh per day, with battery backup.

I will be happy to provide any more information needed. Thanks!

~Jon

Sponsored Links

WI

08-05-10, 08:37 AM   #2  
Do'able but it would cost more than a second home up north. Maybe a compromise like average yearly elec.cost makes more sense. Don't bother with batteries unless the grid is unreliable. Is your home insulated?

ME

08-05-10, 09:04 AM   #3  
The technology is out there do do it, but the price needs to come down a factor of 10 before average people will be able to justify it. The good news is, that is probably not too far away.

As mcircus said, insulate like crazy and look for the most efficient appliances you can find. A home with super insulation can stay comfortable with a small window air conditioner, so to speak. Every time you reduce the energy your home requires, you reduce the size of the solar panel you need.

Bud

FL

08-06-10, 10:37 AM   #4  
Posted By: mcircus Do'able but it would cost more than a second home up north. Maybe a compromise like average yearly elec.cost makes more sense. Don't bother with batteries unless the grid is unreliable. Is your home insulated?
Not so much unreliable, but hurricanes make power a PITA. Obviously I would get much sunlight during a hurricane anyway, but none the less.

Concrete house, so I doubt there is any insulation inside the load bearing walls. I dont know if there is any insulation in the interior walls, but I doubt it as I dont think there would be much merit to it. I just had the power company come out and inspect the insulation in the ceiling, now I have a coupon to put more insulation in the attic, perhaps when they come to do that I will have them inspect the concrete walls.

Gas furnace, gas water heater, gas drier. Probably need to upgrade the fridge, dishwasher and washing machine though.

Beer 4U2

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

OR

08-09-10, 10:26 PM   #5  
Spec44 - sizing a solar system

The first thing I would recommend is that you contact the Florida Dept. of Energy and research the availability of State tax credits and the requirements. At the State web site, there should be a link to the Dept. of Energy ( Federal ) so you can research the requirements for federal tax credits. Contact your power provider and ask them about incentives for solar installs. In most States, in order for the homeowner to be eligible for State tax credits, the solar system must be installed by a State certified Solar contractor. Also, talk to your electrical provider about connecting to the grid. I think in most States, it does not make sense to produce more juice than you can use. Contact three solar contractors from the list of state certified contractors and have each one provide their install recommendations, the cost, and the incentives and tax credits available. Hope this is helpful.******

Last edited by Shadeladie; 08-10-10 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Website removed. Advertising not allowed.

FL

08-10-10, 06:56 AM   #6  
Thanks, I will take your advice on contacting them.

Florida power companies (at least FPL) does pay you if you supply to their grid, based on the kwh on the meter.

FL

08-12-10, 07:12 AM   #7  
Not mentioned so far, you need to have a south facing roof to fit them on.
Also the angle of the solar panels to true south, both in a horizontal and vertical plane will make a big difference to the amount of power your setup will produce.
If the roof is in shade some of the year this will make a difference.
If you have the right location, putting them on the ground will often result in a perfect set up.

FL

08-21-10, 02:58 PM   #8  
its alot of info to type but I can answer most of it... I live in florida btw so if u want to tie in with the grid of fpl you have to hire a certified electrocution to tie it to fpl. Which might cast u 30 thousand if you dont do the work yourself. you just cant touch fpl. but u can do the rest of the sysytem to your house. solar panels for u to make 70kw a day a solar panel wont work for you. you would need 10 solar panel's to make half way and solar panels cost think a 300w solar panel cost 1k you might want to look in to solar andwind turbine the produce way more power then a solar panel and for about the same price. you can make a wind turbine yourself would cost about 200 bucks to make. Um batterys for a offgrid system is the most expensive part of the entire thing golf cart batterys are the best to use youll need a 24v system I think and connected in series and parallel wiring golf cart batterys are 6v and interstate u2200 batterys are decent to use that batter is a 220a 65lb battery and cost think around 100 bucks look up a math formula to convert a/hr in to watts to see how many amps ull need. also a charge controller you need to use one for a 24v system ebay sells em so look for that and a power inverter you would need a big power inverter to do this about 3000w power inverter check ebay also then you can wire it all togther and let the tec wire it to the grid let me know if i missed somthin or any other question

Search this Thread