solar powered

Old 02-14-11, 02:24 AM
W
wwc
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
solar powered

I'm interested in solar power for a back up system since a full on system is way beyond my means, just something small at first for just essentials for emergency's.

since deep cycle batteries are rated in amps and converters are rated in watts how do I figure out how long a fully charged battery will last on a given item.

Also how do i figure out how long it will take to charge a battery after use.
I'm looking at the 45 watt solar panels that harbor freight sell as a kit or can I do better elsewhere ?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-11, 04:07 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Solar panels have not been impressive as a household energy source. Not that solar isn't great, just that our households are energy hogs. There are very few items that would fit your post. Perhaps some LED lights.

Volts times amps equals watts. one amp at 120 volts is 120 watts. Let it run for 10 hours and you have 1.2 KWH.

Have to run
Bud

Old 02-14-11, 06:57 AM
D
I think you are going to find that your "essentials" are going to be your biggest energy users to start with. I don't know too much about what you need and how to do it, but there is good information out on the web.

On yahoo, I searched "how many solar panels do i need" and found this link: How Do I Calculate How Many Solar Panels I Need? | eHow.com

"how many solar batteries do i need" got me this link: Solar Q&A: How Many Batteries Does My Solar System Need?

I know there are maps out there that tell you how much sun to expect for your location. That will aid your calculations.

I'm not sure those 45 watt panels from harbor freight are going to cut it. Good luck and let us know what you do and how it works.

Old 02-14-11, 06:39 PM
W
wwc
so a 550 cca deep cycle battery that is 12 dc volts has 6600 watts of power ?

thanks for the help.

Old 03-03-11, 07:30 AM
T
Received 44 Votes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by wwc View Post
so a 550 cca deep cycle battery that is 12 dc volts has 6600 watts of power ?

thanks for the help.
That helpful link is a bit wrong. 12 * 550 gets you 6600 watt-hours of ENERGY. Watts is the rate of using energy, watt-hours is how much total energy is involved.