Old Style working bucket well

Old 08-18-11, 04:08 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old Style working bucket well

We have a brick well in our yard, it does not have a cap or pump, we would like to build a working old style bucket system. We have a vegetable garden only 10 ft from the well and this would cut down on our water bill and make a beautiful addition to our yard, but I cannot find any plans for this could some one help me with this?

Old 08-18-11, 05:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Is it a 30" bore or hand dug well? you say it has no cap??!! What keeps things from falling in? You would first need to see about cleaning the crud off the top of the water.....ie. dead rats, bugs, spiders, etc. Can you see the water level? How deep is the overall well? One word of caution, if a cap is used, be careful lifting it off. I guarantee there will be a female black widow spider on the underside. Use gloves.
After your initial cleaning, you would need to build a circular brick extension up about 3 or 4' forming access to the water. From there you can build a wooden landing zone on top complete with a windlass or crank to retrieve your bucket.
Have the water tested, even if you don't drink it.

Old 08-18-11, 06:51 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Right now it has a wooden pallet and a cattle panel over the top of it, we can see the water level probably 5 ft down I don't think it is hand dug, the sides seem to be in good shape the brick is sturdy. I need to get plans on how to build one, the water was tested before we moved in it is not good for human consumption but is acceptable for watering.

Old 08-18-11, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Check your local codes. Its my assumption those type of wells are illegal and need to be sealed. This is because of possible contamination of ground water. May affect people with wells miles away.

Here is the code I believe from your state. Division 23 chapter 3

Missouri Code of State Regulations: Title 10 - Department of Natural Resources

Please do what the codes says and follow all laws for your state and town.

Whoever tested the well should have stated something to you about that, if he was a public official or a professional.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: