Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Vertical Wind Generator

PA

04-19-11, 07:15 PM   #1  
Vertical Wind Generator

Hi,
New to this area of DIY forums. Usually hang in the boiler section.
I am working on developing a Vertical wind generator.
It will have 6 cups turning a very large 3 phase AC Servo motor.

Any input from anyone on if this will work?

Sponsored Links

PA

04-29-11, 07:26 PM   #2  
No response...so I went ahead and built one anyway.
I expect to have it atop a 10 foot galvanized steel pipe tomorrow to see how it works.

Super Moderator

NJ

04-29-11, 07:40 PM   #3  
OK. What will this be able to power?

I just started getting interested in solar. I see they have no more batterys. I think and it just hooks to the panal.

I was looking at wind but you would need more then one correct? I dont think my neighbors will like that.

Its hard to find info on this stuff. Its like they dont want you to know.

Mike NJ

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-30-11, 04:23 AM   #4  
Is 10' going to be high enough to catch a steady flow of wind?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NJ

04-30-11, 05:06 AM   #5  
Posted By: lawrosa OK. What will this be able to power?

I just started getting interested in solar. I see they have no more batterys. I think and it just hooks to the panal.

I was looking at wind but you would need more then one correct? I dont think my neighbors will like that.

Its hard to find info on this stuff. Its like they dont want you to know.

Mike NJ
Here in NJ they do grid tie systems. You get credits for any excess energy you generate with solar during the day. You can then sell those credits on an exchange. Looking at the recent trading, the average price worked out to be about $.60 per kwh. But each credit is equal to 1 mwh and that is the size that is traded.

SREC Registration Program | NJ OCE Web Site
SREC Pricing | NJ OCE Web Site

FL

05-18-11, 10:46 AM   #6  
In most areas the wind close to the ground is too slow to generate any useful power.
Most wind speed maps show the average speed at 80 feet above the gound and this is not practical for most people.
When the wind speed gets above 28mph then you may have a problem, unless you can idle the fan, you do not want your blades coming off and killing someone.

CT

05-18-11, 02:41 PM   #7  
Not only impractical, but often prohibited by local ordinance.

From everything I have read, most DIY wind generators are too inefficient to power a typical home reliably. Mother Earth News

WA

05-25-11, 12:27 PM   #8  
Where I live we seem to have our own micro climate, a mix of sun, rain and wind- during the summer it is a combination of sun & wind but very little rain.
I want to implement all so that our power is fully covered.
The hill above us would be great for the wind power & the solar panel. Our backyard is somewhat tropical meaning seems to be constantly wet- I want to utilize the water by catching it in a barrel, pour onto a water wheel creating the charge, the water during dry times would be recycled via a recirculating pond pump. Do you have any suggestions as to how to accomplish this?

NJ

05-25-11, 01:12 PM   #9  
You cannot generate power with water by recycling it using an electric pump.

Search this Thread