Solar power for shed ventilation

Old 06-05-12, 11:59 AM
Solar power for shed ventilation

Hope someone visits here!
I would like to put a oscillating fan that I used to have in a sailboat into my 9x10 shed. This fan is similar to the ones that are in RV's and it is 12 volt. What I was thinking is buying one of Harbor Freights cheapo solar panels for power and rig it to the fan for power and ventilation during the day. I am not concerned with storing the power for nightime use.
Question is can this be connected directly or do they require a regulator between the fan and the panel. Also has anyone did anything similar and would the 1.5 or 1 watt be needed?
Never worked with this stuff so any guidance appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-12, 03:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Of course you would have to match the amperage draw of the fan with the solar panel. Not sure if the solar panel will be able to keep up with the fan, but a good over matching should help. Generally a direct hook up is all that is necessary, but a good regulator will keep the fan motor from burning up. If you haven't bought your panel, I would shop for one with a regulator either built in or as a package.

Old 06-06-12, 06:04 AM
Chandler,
Thanks for the response. I havemn't bought any panel yet, but your point out about the regulator is well taked. In fact that was something that was in the back of my mind as they are also available at Harbor china Frieght.