Geothermal - any personal experiences?

Old 03-30-15, 08:25 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Geothermal - any personal experiences?

We moved into a house with propane heat from a house with gas. The cost is crazy, and we plan on making this our home for at least the next 20 years. A geothermal system seems to be a very cost-effective option, but it's quite a large investment and we're just cautious because there are very few people who have one installed that we can talk to. Sure, the companies we've talked to are willing to provide references, but I'm a bit skeptical because I feel like they'd only give people they're pretty sure would sing their praises.

Thanks.

Old 04-29-15, 02:01 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I would contact Bill Sinton and Sinton Geothermal in West Chester, PA. No, he's not in Michigan, but he's at the top of his field, IMO. Among his credits, he installed the system that took a 1922 stone mansion in West Chester off the grid (they installed a solar array to power the geothermal pumps).

That project was featured in an article in the September/October 2007 issue (IIRC) of Old House Journal... Yes. I found it online: A 1920s House Goes Off the Grid.

No, I don't imagine they'll be ready to come do your project. But I do imagine they might be willing and able to give you some solid advice about finding a contractor, about rebate and incentive programs, and other useful information. It might be worth a call.

Old 05-14-15, 09:06 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
When I lived in Montrose, CO about 15 years ago, geothermal was the big thing. Then, after a few years in service in several subdivisions, the local newspaper ran a few articles about the problems people who had installed it, were having. Do your research, before taking the plunge, as at least back then, most systems had significant performance problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: