Solar power

Old 07-10-15, 06:40 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Solar power

@Matthew Morgan, can you elaborate a little bit more on your experience installing the solar panels?

I'll be doing the same, self installation except for connecting to the grid.

But if you can share some info on installation, inspection from Zoning or Building officers, contacting the power company to notify them with your self provided electricity and if they make you sign any paperwork, any special disconnects outside your home? too many questions

Also if you can post some pics... Thank you

Old 07-12-15, 07:12 AM
Received 727 Upvotes on 643 Posts
I did not read all the replies. But my daughter has a whole house roof installed solar array. It powers the whole house through the electric company. I think Solarcity was the company. She is very satisfied. They even came by to inspect, fix, and turn off/on when she experienced near total loss of house during a 100 year flood in PA. several years ago. In most cases she get money back from power company.

Old 07-13-15, 05:32 AM
G
Hi @Norm201 i did get few estimate and the price is very high compare to diy.

What i am looking for is what FORMS and Paperworks beside the Zoning and building permits do i need to present to the town? also is there an AC/DC disconnect outside or inside the house?

I am just trying to get a general idea before i head down that path...

Old 07-13-15, 05:56 AM
Received 727 Upvotes on 643 Posts
As a DIY project you may be getting in too deep. Both on the legal, permits, inspection, and technical aspect of the project. This is one area best left to the experts. Also think about after installation. Even if you get past the local, state and environmental boondoggle paper chase, what about updates and possible recalls? Remember, this is still new tech for the private sector. If you're going to tie into the grid then I suggest you don't DIY. However, if you are going in as a passive system (independent of the grid) or using battery back-up then you should be OK. But you must still consider local permits and aesthetics. If you go battery back-up that can be very expensive. And you must find a source of good batteries and a source to dispose of them when worn out. If you try to tie into you current service provider then you must have an approved transfer switch. I'm sure you're aware of all this but sometimes seeing it in print and from another person may give you pause to think twice. I'm not trying to talk you out of it (well, yes I guess I am ). If you live in a rural area then it should be easier than an urban area.

She has a main disconnect located inside the outside wall of the attached garage. She also has an app that she can monitor the system and keep track of various aspects of each array.

I like the aluminum pop can DIY solar heater. A person can actually provide complete hot water needs for a home if made big enough and done right.

Old 07-13-15, 08:50 AM
G
@Norm201

Thanks for the quick reply.
I tried opening a new thread in the subforum "Greening Your Homes Electrical Power and Water Systems" so i can take this discussion there but i couldnt, no button for "new thread". I didnt want to hijack this thread. Sorry OP.

back to business. I have all the permit applied for as i live in the great state of NJ :-) Zoning permit and building permit.

So far there will be 2 inspections, one for building after the racks and panels are installed and final for the electrical work. I'll have a Licensed Electrician do the final steps of connecting the system to the grid, yes Grid-Tie. but most of the work will be done by me. I think if i did enough research and plan everything carefully and figure out the paperwork that goes with the installation... it can be done by any homeowner.

Thanks for the clarification on the disconnect switch, Here in NJ or in my town it has to be installed Outside for easy access for emergencies by Firefighter or Electric companies employees...etc
and thanks again for the advice on the warranty or recall issue, I think if i have a licensed Electrician signed the paperwork than it should maintain the manufacturer warranty, I need to contact the manufacturer anyway to confirm.

Also, i did contacted the NJ Clean energy for the SREC but havent heard from them yet.

This is a very big project as you said, lot of paperwork is involved and if someone can shed some light on some of it, anything that the inspectors required changed to the installation etc... will be a great help to DIY solar

Can a mod please move this as a new thread?

Old 07-13-15, 12:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I tried opening a new thread
Done for you, sir........................

Old 07-14-15, 05:40 AM
G
Thank you!

Still doing more research and writing down all the questions that needs to be answered.

Also working on One-line and Site diagrams using MS paint

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: